Motorola U9  » Phones  »
  • Personally I think it's enough, if I want go somewhere knowing I want to take good pictures I have a camera for that, phone pictures are for the silly, unexpected moments in my opinion
  • Games are great on the phone, I have 60+ games on it and the phone hasn't slowed down or given any kind or problem, neither during the installation nor during play, which is a pleasure thanks to the mesmerizing screen

• by Metaldudette

I’m very bias regarding this cute clamshell but I’m going to try to stay neutral for accuracies sake. I’ll start of with the price. It can be found at around $100, so for that price remember not to expect too much. It has all the features required by a phone in that price range and much more!

Let’s start with the design. Personally I haven’t seen a phone that matches the u9 in beauty so far.

It has a gorgeous metallic finish with an invisible, edgeless screen on the front. If you close the phone while the music player or camera is on they will show up on the outside, you’ll be able to take pictures with the side buttons and control the player directly with the touch buttons on the screen(don’t worry, you can set the keys to lock automatically when you put it in your pocket), I had more than one friend drool at that feature. Smexy animated screensavers are included too, sometimes I find myself opening and closing the phone just to watch the screensaver on the outer screen, it literally looks like it’s moving inside the phone. This is due to OLED technology, the one that promises roll-up monitors and screens everywhere, on car windows, mugs,

t-shirts, and the u9 is one of the few products on the market already incorporating this miracle.

Advantage of this tecnology, you can see it in sunlight and it consumes very little. The inside of the phone is just as high class as the outside. The design is flat and sexy, very appealing. The inner screen is 2inches and able to match most top-of-the-range phones, it is bright, sharp, with great resolution, it completes the all over perfect design.

The colors the u9 comes in are also a real looker. Ther’s the classic, elegant black, electric purple, a dark red/pink and the newest addition gold, I am so curious to see that one in real life. I have the purple and it is just stunning. Let’s talk media.

We have a 2megapizel camera, sadly with no flash, it will take decent pictures, nothing extraordinary, especially with bad light conditions, but what do you expect for $100. Personally I think it’s enough, if I want go somewhere knowing I want to take good pictures I have a camera for that, phone pictures are for the silly, unexpected moments in my opinion. The phone has a music player that reads all most common formats, mp3, wma, aac. The audio is great, both ...

• with headphones and speaker, the player’s external display touch keys aren’t perfectly responsive all the time though.

Videos are, again, just fine. Games are great on the phone, I have 60+ games on it and the phone hasn’t slowed down or given any kind or problem, neither during the installation nor during play, which is a pleasure thanks to the mesmerizing screen. Userfriendliness. It scores alright, although I’ve had better.

The design makes it tricky to open with one hand. Having long nails I need to slide my nail in to flap it open, don’t know about people with short nails, you best just try it out yourself. The keys are also a bit harder to work with when using one hand, being so sleek you can really just feel your way around but might need to look at them every so often. Again, you have to try it, and it’s no big deal really when you’re using two hands.

The menu is quite average, it looks fancy and has all the basics but I’ve seen better ones, still it doesn’t effectively complicate or hinder the use of the u9, it’s just not its most outstanding feature. The phone in itself is quite light, 88gg I think, and will fit

perfectly in a jeans pocket, but watch out for the shiny top of the phone gets scratched easily, protect it with a little cloth bag(i-pod style) when necessary. The only problem I can say I’ve ever had was the phone freezing on me, I was worried at the start but it hasn’t caused any problems, I’ve had it for half a year now and it only froze a bunch of times, just a matter of taking out the battery, no actual annoyance due to the rarity of the event. All in all, the phone is a valid purchase.

If you’re looking for a marvel of technology to surf online, edit videos and take professional pictures and whatnot then u9 probably is not right for you (nor anything in this price range!), but if, like me, all you need is a phone that is simply a phone, to call message and take the occasional pic/video, send a mail and listen to great music then u9 is perfect. After all if you want things done right you need the right device, camera for pictures, pc for internet, i-pod for music, and the phone is for calling, with perks. So, for the simple phone users, who like good music and love irresistible style choose u9, I have it and love it!

Motorola U9

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 371412921070631/k2311a1214/12.14.09