Phakalane Golf Estate  » Real estate  »
1.0
Phakalane, Gaborone, Botswana
  • I had a chance to experience it for myself personally last night when I had to drop my daughter in a class party in Phakalane
  • I suppose this for them is the best place to live as even the ex-President has a house here
  • Unfortunately, they cannot bring in the offices here and all other things which are at the center of the city
  • Even if my house is modern and cozy, I would not even consider living here

• by bethbarl

I always hear adverts about this golf estate over the radio. There would always be a speaker in the morning show on the local station I most listen to enticing everyone to get a piece of this estate. I always wondered what’s there at all to make every nouveau riche in Gaborone want to live there.

First of all, the location is very inconvenient as it is about 30k or more from the center of the city. The traffic is so horrible in the mornings and in the evenings. I had a chance to experience it for myself personally last night when I had to drop my daughter in a class party in Phakalane. I was falling asleep in the car because I was not used to driving this far as I live in the heart of the city.

The security guards at

the entrance are awfully arrogant, one would think I’m out to rob the place. Even with this so called “high security”, I still heard of lots of house break in stories in the past month alone.

The houses are very flashy and the square per meter very pricey. I suppose this for them is the best place to live as even the ex-President has a house here.

This estate is meant to be self-contained such that there is a shopping center, a school, some restaurants and a golf club. Unfortunately, they cannot bring in the offices here and all other things which are at the center of the city. The residents still have to commute and for all the hassles associated with living here, I would not have agreed to stay in a house there even if it was for free.

• My biggest headache would be the time to take commuting to and from the place which would be at least 1 hour, one way. Effectively, 2 hours are lost in a day.

It is not too far to go to the nearest hospital and clinic from this estate but compared to where I am now where I could go to a clinic in 5 minutes, I find that this is not the most secure location. In addition, my children would’ve been obliged to stay in the school which is near the place as I suppose commuting will be too much for them and us.

The estate roads are also bad, narrow and undeveloped. At the entrance, the roads are well paved but as one goes further, the state of the roads deteriorates. I even thought that being out there was like

being in the bush, literally because there are bushes everywhere. An ex- office colleague of my husband used to live there and there was a story of a snake getting into her home. A classmate of my daughter also recounted that they find at least 20 snakes in a year at their home. That is not a way for me to live wondering if I will ever encounter one along the way to the bathroom or elsewhere in my house. Even if my house is modern and cozy, I would not even consider living here.

My conclusion is, this golf estate is not at all the paradise they make it out to be. The location is inconvenient, prices per square meter are high and it is just like being in the bush. No one can pay me to live in the bush.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 621312920460931/k2311a1213/12.13.09