Whalley Public Library in Surrey, Canada  » Education  »
10347-135th Street, Surrey, British Columbia, telephone number 1-604-598-7420
  • I love the way lining up or queuing is so well organized here, there are waiting chairs numbered one to four, and patrons moved in a Trip to Jerusalem game like fashion
  • Luckily, I found an available workstation with both high-speed Internet and Microsoft Word access, so I delivered my latest reviews to the web site concerned in no time
  • Next to the Internet work stations, the best part of this library to me is the second floor, where there are separate lounges for teenagers only and another one for general patronage
  • I just love the magazine collection here, and I had to take the stairs on my last visit, in order to catch a glimpse of the latest issue of Vogue, or Vanity Fair
  • I would recommend this library any time to Surrey residents

• by RichieMogwai

I have to say that this is one public library I’m stuck with, since it’s only five blocks away from the apartment I live in. Hence, there’s no need to take the bus to find the reference materials I need, just when I need them.

I am thankful to the provincial government’s library system initiatives, there’s just a public library in any major city center. I’m pretty sure that this did not happen by sheer chance, obviously there’s been a lot of planning involved.

I last visited this library on December 10, 2009. I had decided to not pay for high-speed Internet access at home anymore, and just to access the Web on a public place for free. And from the looks of it, my plan is working!

To my dismay, I couldn’t use my own notebook computer here to connect to their Wi-Fi. The library clerk I asked had politely informed me that such access was only available at the Newton Public Library. This means having to take the bus to avail of such service, which translates into $5 going out of my pocket.

I thought, if I’m trying to stop myself from spending for Internet access, this would not be the way to go. Still, I have to give credit to the Whalley public

library for giving its library card bearing patrons one hour of free Internet access on any of their computer workstations on any given open day.

Of course, I appreciate the fact that this library is open every day of the week, except on holidays, which is understandable. Seven hours of free Internet access on any given week should be good enough for me, give or take a few hours depending on the calendar month.

I love the way lining up or queuing is so well organized here, there are waiting chairs numbered one to four, and patrons moved in a Trip to Jerusalem game like fashion. I found it rather efficient.

If there are no available 60-minute computer work stations, I would usually content myself with using one or two of those with what they call 15-minute express access. But on my last visit, I had reviews nicely written in the Microsoft Word program which I had to post at this ReviewStream web site.

Luckily, I found an available workstation with both high-speed Internet and Microsoft Word access, so I delivered my latest reviews to the web site concerned in no time. Of course, I had to put my handy USB thumb drive to task in this operation. And from the looks of it, everything worked like a ...

• charm.

One thing I just need to warn you guys about, who might be living in the city of Surrey, and therefore interested in availing of free Internet in this library, this place can easily get packed with people.

And by that I mean all sorts of people, even those who talk to themselves and whisper really nasty swear words to themselves, as if some demon were persecuting them. I had my share of this during my last visit, and it didn’t even seem like he was accessing the Internet on the computer. He seemed to be just standing in front of it and attacking the keyboard while I heard all the foul sounding swear words in the land.

Worse, the library clerk just beside this person, was tutoring another patron with using the WorldWideWeb, found herself too busy to bother with this rather irritating visitor. I wish this library screened their entrants better, after all, there was always a security guard that did nothing but just walk around!

Thank God, he guarded the public toilets well enough so they were fairly clean and decent enough to use. No wonder you had to ask him to open it up for you if Nature called.

The Whalley library has a good collection of books and music CDs, although I cannot

say that for the DVDs, which are rather dated and few. Next to the Internet work stations, the best part of this library to me is the second floor, where there are separate lounges for teenagers only and another one for general patronage.

I just love the magazine collection here, and I had to take the stairs on my last visit, in order to catch a glimpse of the latest issue of Vogue, or Vanity Fair. On the other side of the floor, there are racks containing back issues of magazines, which I find rather handy.

There are lots of new books out here, too, and I never tire of checking them out, such as the latest issue of Writer’s Market which I was able to take home at one time, since the librarian was smart enough to secure two copies (one for reference and one for loaning out). The books on computers and software are also quite decent, and I often referred to them.

I would recommend this library any time to Surrey residents. It’s big enough and will do, for any resident’s regular reference needs. Just one word of advice, it’s a good idea to phone to reserve an Internet work station, so you don’t have to sit in line when the library is really busy.

Whalley Public Library in Surrey, Canada

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 501112919540431/k2311a1211/12.11.09