Semiahmoo Library in White Rock, Canada  » Education  »
1815-152 Street, White Rock, British Columbia, telephone number 1-604-592-6900
  • I just have to write about my experience with this modern, well-stocked library, which I visited for the first time on December 4, 2009
  • It’s about an hour by bus from my apartment, but a trip to it was well worth it in my opinion
  • There was a handy elevator to go up to the library, but I thought I’d take the stairs
  • I must admit I was slightly disappointed to find out that there was no Wi-Fi access for my notebook computer, but the available computer work stations were enough for me
  • I decided to sit myself on the empty table facing the window, to relax my eyes in between reading the information I needed

• by RichieMogwai

I just have to write about my experience with this modern, well-stocked library, which I visited for the first time on December 4, 2009. It’s about an hour by bus from my apartment, but a trip to it was well worth it in my opinion.

I was originally looking for the Newton Public Library, which I missed by the time the bus got to the Newton Exchange terminal. But I told myself, no worries, let me try Semiahmoo public library instead. After all, it looked so nice when I caught a glimpse of it the last time I left White Rock Center by bus.

Why, the building has a rather stylish white wood paneling and glass façade. And it’s also part of the main shopping mall square in White Rock, making it very accessible, indeed.

There was a handy elevator to go up to the library, but I thought I’d take the stairs. I must admit I was slightly

disappointed to find out that there was no Wi-Fi access for my notebook computer, but the available computer work stations were enough for me.

To my surprise, there weren’t too many people around. My first stop was the reception, where I was greeted by a very nice lady. She apologized that there was no Wi-Fi access available for bring-your-own-laptop situations like mine, but she pointed me to the glass-enclosed computer room where I could get high-speed Internet access for an hour.

The lady also said that I could access the Internet on the other computer work stations outside for thirty minutes each after my one hour ran out in the enclosed computer room. Oh what a relief! Elsewhere in the British Columbia public library system, most notably in Vancouver the main city, you can only use the Internet with a valid library card on a computer workstation for one hour, period.

But here at the Semiahmoo library, you still have an option to use ...

• the other stations after your one hour had expired. I wonder why this is not the case with the other libraries, duh!

I just have to give it to this library, it’s very clean, and so well-staffed. Even the security guard kept moving around to get rid of noisy high school students who preferred to use the library facilities not for reading, but for meaningless chitchat.

This library even has a separate, again glass-enclosed room for laptop users who don’t want to be disturbed. It is conveniently called the quiet room.

I used the men’s toilet on one or two occasions while I was there, and it was so spotlessly clean, which is yet another pleasant surprise. Even the sprawling Vancouver public library cannot boast of this!

The book, CD, and even the DVD collections are rather extensive. I put myself to task with finding illustrated books about baking cakes, breads and pizza. I had originally wanted to look up specific

titles in the library catalogue system, but then that would have deprived me of the chance to look around to see how the references are organized in this place. Oh, am I so glad I took this route.

For lo and behold, within a minute or two, I had five nicely illustrated books on baking. I decided to sit myself on the empty table facing the window, to relax my eyes in between reading the information I needed.

Of course, this library is highly recommended to students and all bibliophiles alike. It’s a clean, well-organized, quite place in which to savor information about the things that I needed to know about. I’m just so glad I took the wrong turn at the Newton Exchange bus station, otherwise I would have missed this gem in the British Columbia or BC library system. I can only hope this review gets to the well-meaning library staff out there. You guys are simply the best!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 501112919530431/k2311a1211/12.11.09