Food Preparation/Dishwasher Position at Big Ridge Brewing Company in Surrey, Canada  » Job  »
15133 Highway 10, Surrey, British Columbia, V3S 9A5, telephone number 1-604-574-2739
  • I guess you could say it was a job I found through my friend’s friend, which was quite a way to job-network
  • I think under the circumstances it was okay to do this
  • I wasn’t sure if I was going to love washing the dishes in this busy restaurant, but I thought I’d give it a try
  • Unfortunately, I had to turn down this job at the last minute after realizing that that something just wasn’t right

• by RichieMogwai

This is a great place to hang out. I went out here with my friends on September 12, 2009 for two reasons, first to savor the food, and second, to find myself a job.

My friend’s co-worker happens to have his second job here, as a line cook, so I had the opportunity to apply for a job as a Food Preparation/Dishwasher. I guess you could say it was a job I found through my friend’s friend, which was quite a way to job-network. Truly, in depressed economic conditions, one has to apply every means to find a job, and this was

one of them.

This restaurant is huge, and it rivals the Keg Steakhouse and Restaurant. It has the same keg-style ambiance, a place with shiny wooden tables where it’s very enticing to have a pint of freshly brewed beer straight from the source.

That’s exactly what we had, before my job interview. Now who ever said you couldn’t have a pint before a job interview? I think under the circumstances it was okay to do this. After all, if I was going to work here and prepare food, I had to at least find out how the food tastes.

We ordered the spicy octopus, not the tentacles type. Let me explain: It was more like the head of an octopus chopped into vertical pieces, white, fried and covered with ginger and garlic. It was so good, we had to order another plate, luckily the friend of my friend gave it to us compliments of the house, as the lovely waitress explained.

Before I could even finish my share of this exotic, spicy appetizer, I was called to the interview. I was surrounded by nearly all the line cooks, who took turns asking a question. The beer must have gotten into me, I had ...

• Food Preparation/Dishwasher Position at Big Ridge Brewing Company in Surrey, Canada
      a rare confidence in answering all the questions. The long and the short of it was I got the job, and I was asked to report for work the following Monday.

One of the line cooks even reminded me to wear a non-slip pair of shoes. I was told that I didn’t need to wear a uniform since I would be working at the back of the restaurant, behind the scenes, which would work for me. I wasn’t sure if I was going to love washing the dishes in this busy restaurant, but I thought I’d give it a try.

Unfortunately, I had

to turn down this job at the last minute after realizing that that something just wasn’t right. I just wasn’t one hundred percent convinced that I would enjoy this job. But it was indeed cool to have been given the chance to expand my culinary skills by handling the food preparation aspect of this restaurant’s kitchen. I can’t say the same for washing the dishes, but certainly this opportunity might work for some other people so I thought I’d write about it here at ReviewStream. I hear that the restaurant business usually peaks over the winter, not only over the holidays, so there.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 61112919470431/k2311a1211/12.11.09