Superman 687
  • My comic book reading has been sporadic as of late so I found myself once again playing catch up
  • This is a fairly short issue too so there's not a whole lot of room for events

• by David Finniss

I have to say, it’s really weird reading a Superman book with no Superman. My comic book reading has been sporadic as of late so I found myself once again playing catch up. This is a fairly short issue too so there’s not a whole lot of room for events.

Mon-El settles into his role as both science officer and super hero. The Guardian notes that the current set up of Kent getting taken out so he can slip away won’t hold

forever. Mon-El notes that he has a way of disguising his appearance. The villain they’re fighting is one I didn’t recognize and they never said his name. I suppose it’s moot, but still it would’ve been nice to know.

Jimmy goes to Zatara to see if the beam that struck Kara during the fight with Atlas was magic. Zatara replies that it’s two different kinds. Zatara’s not exactly likable. As much as Jimmy kind of annoys me, Zatara’s dismissal ...

• of him because he was too busy for small press was just off putting. Jimmy pulls the “I’m Superman’s pal” card and manages to get his question in.

The government subplot is touched on once again as a general notes that he wants Mon-El as he’s fascinated by the fact that he’s not kryptonian but not human either. We also see some creature in a tank waking up.

While a ton of villains do show up, the one that I do recognize is Parasite,

who sees Mon-El and, true to form, decides to go after him to acquire his power.

This issue needed to find one thing and stick with it. It’s all over the place and while a lot of plot elements are touched on, none of them are really progressed. I’m sure in the grand scheme of things, it will be useful as far as getting the story told, but on it’s own I didn’t really get into it the same way I would’ve liked to.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 121112919110431/k2311a1211/12.11.09