Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck LI Forlula
  • A few months ago, I noticed the new bag of food I bought looked very different than it usually does

• by vickilee

My Ragdoll cat has severe food allergies. She has been eating Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Green Pea and Duck formula for a few years, as it was the only food that would not cause her to break out in hives and lose her hair. Even a different brand of Green Pea and Duck made her break out, and get sick.

A few months ago, I noticed the new bag of food I bought looked very different than it usually does. The color was different, and even the shape and size was different. I didn’t think much of it until I fed it to my

cat. She seemed reluctant to eat it.

I did an Internet search, and found out that the company had changed suppliers for their ingredients, but they assured their web site visitors that it was still the same formula.

I visited a few sites that sold Natural Balance and read some of the reviews. Many people wrote that their pets either would not eat it, or got sick after eating eating it.

My cat eventually ate it, and everything seemed okay until a few weeks ago. She started itching a lot, and broke out with scabs all over her spine and base of her tail. The scabs ...

• were driving her crazy. I took her to the vet, who said it was a yeast infection, and that it was most likely an allergic reaction. He said yeast infections of the skin is common in animals who have allergies.

We treated her with medicine, and the scabs went away, but as soon as the medication was gone, her infection came back.

Now she is losing her hair all along her back. The poor thing is nearly bald.

I spoke with my vet about Natural Balance’s recent change in suppliers and he said it could be a contributing factor. Even if Natural Balance used the same

formula, the ingredients from the new supplier may be different in terms of diet of the meat source, or their peas being contaminated with grains if they are processed in the same area as their grains are, etc.

I have no idea where we will go from here, since it was the only thing that worked for my cat.

If you have a pet with food allergies, be aware of this change.

I am rating Natural Balance an 8 because even though my cat has been affected by the new formula, I still believe they are one of the better quality pet foods, despite their recent changes.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 291012918620931/k2311a1210/12.10.09