Gran Torino  » Movies  »
  • I love Clint Eastwood, both as an actor and as a director in recent years
  • I think that the message portrayed in this film is timely, given our huge immigration issues in North America, and how all too often, we tend to judge people without taking the time to get to know them

• by Jessie Bahrey

I love Clint Eastwood, both as an actor and as a director in recent years. I was excited when I saw previews of Gran Torino, because it looked like classic Clint-a hard, grumpy, and sarcastic man who is mad at the world. I also knew that since he directed it, this movie would have some deeper message or meaning. I rented it on DVD as soon as it was out of the theatres, and it did not disappoint at all.

Clint Eastwood’s character is a bitter, disillusioned man whose wife has recently died, and who is estranged from his own kids. He watches as his neighborhood begins to change; people of

different ethnic backgrounds move in, and crime soon follows. He develops a very bad and racist attitude toward his neighbors, an Asian family with two teen agers, who seem not to notice his attitude toward them, and they are friendly and even invite him to their house frequently. When his beloved Gran Torino that he has restored in his garage gets stolen, he of course blames the neighbors. But as he observes from his front porch, and while he is driving around town, it is not his neighbors but other Asian bullies, who are tormenting both the teenagers, including the boy, who is a bit slow. He manages to rescue the ...

• teenage girl when she is brutally attacked, and after that, he keeps a watchful and protective eye on the family. He even goes to their house for dinner, and eventually, gets the boy a job and gives him tools and help to work. Slowly, the viewers can see him changing his outlook and attitude about these neighbors, and even though he is still very gruff and hard on the outside, we see that he is really kind and lonely inside, and that this family takes the place of his own, who treat him poorly as well. He even lets the boy borrow his Gran Torino to go on a date that
        he has helped arrange. In the end, he lets down his guard and becomes very close to the family, helping them and being their friend and protector.

I loved watching Eastwood’s character evolve over the course of the movie, and there is a message of tolerance and compassion to be learned from this film. The warmth of the Asian family toward him, even though he treats them harshly at first, is truly heart-warming. I think that the message portrayed in this film is timely, given our huge immigration issues in North America, and how all too often, we tend to judge people without taking the time to get to know them. Bravo, Clint Eastwood!

Gran Torino

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111012917730831/k2311a1210/12.10.09