Garuda Indonesia Airlines  » Airlines  »
  • I never had experience with this airline and I did not expect much
  • The staff behind the check-in desk was not really equipped with great problem solving skills too
  • I noticed that the aircraft was not new with Garuda Indonesia
  • I would love watching my favorite movies or listen to music but unfortunately this is not available
  • I like the smell of the hot towel that they gave me

• by becca5040

I did not have confidence taking this airline but at that time, I did not have a choice. Being in Jakarta at that time, the flight available to Perth was through Garuda Indonesia. I never had experience with this airline and I did not expect much.

My first bad encounter was when I arrived at their lounge. The hub of this airline is Jakarta International Airport and I was expecting lots of staff there to assist me. Sometimes it is so confusing to be in an international airport because of the busy schedule on the planes, the number of passengers present so we need assistance for directions. I did felt the presence of the staff to assist me. I have to walk and check for somebody in the nearby office which was so irritating. I have to check their ticket office because I have to claim my e-ticket and it took me so long because I was referred back and forth, in most cases, those people whom I talked to did not understand english well that is why. The point is there should be staff which should assist you in your departure

and arrival at the airport. They do not have it and it was really a first bad impression.

I was also frustrated with the check-in counter. Even if there were lots of check-in counter, it seems almost all of it was moving like a turtle. I watched the lines beside me and it was really moving slow. When it was my time, I talked to the lady behind the desk and she said that there was a glitch in the software of their computer. It was bad and absolutely frustrating. I have to say that their system is not good. The staff behind the check-in desk was not really equipped with great problem solving skills too. Given her current situation, she could have implemented something to ease the queue. She has this bad accent also and I have to understand and listen carefully every time she talks. It was bad experience. By that time when everything was all right, it was like a total relief for me.

The age of the aircraft will best manifest the kind of amenities you will get on board. But most importantly, it also makes comfort enjoyable if it is new. I noticed that the aircraft was not new with Garuda Indonesia. The seats were all right, it was not defective, the cushion were still in good colors and it was still comfortable to sit but I noticed that the color of the aircraft is fading. I can also sense from the smell of the aircraft if it is new or not. The seat was in good condition, I would say I was comfortable sitting on it. However, the leg room was so small. This is one of the flaws I noticed on board. It seems the distance between your seat and the one in front of you was so close. It was like they are trying to save space on the aircraft that they have to utilize almost the entire place. This is also another manifestation that the aircraft is old, the distance of the seats giving you very little leg room. In todays airplane, most of them have huge leg room. Seat pitch is only around 31″ to 32″. The seat is not equipped with hi-tech features. First, there were no individual TV screens, so you do not ...

• Garuda Indonesia Airlines
      expect that your seat will have individual control too. It was like a plane for domestic flights. It was not really good. The only thing I appreciate is the comfort of the seat cushion.

As earlier mentioned, there were no individual TV screens. We only share common TV wherein the screen is so tiny and the resolution is very classic. Again, this goes back to the age of the aircraft. This follows that there are no available choices for movies too because you will just wait what is given. The overall in-flight entertainment feature was a flop for me. You can resort on getting entertain with your own Ipod if you have one perhaps you can download movies there to spare you from boredom. There were magazines available on board too but I seldom read especially when I am tired. I would love watching my favorite movies or listen to music but unfortunately this is not available.

The food was average. I would not rate it like the experience I had with other Asian airlines because it is not at par with them. The choice of champagne was okay. The taste was good.

The fruit juice that was offered was fresh, it has good taste. The main course were served neatly and in great proportions too. It was Asian cuisine mainly and everything was all right for the taste. I like the smell of the hot towel that they gave me. I also noticed that it was clean and new. Perhaps this was the only thing new on board. For the choices for your refreshment, I would say that they had poor selection. They offered something like pastries. I would not really rate it that high. Over all, the food on board was average. It was not something really tasty nor it was bad.

The flight attendants were friendly but I would not describe them as efficient and knowledgeable. I had various queries about their amenities on board due to my frustration and the flight attendant whom I spoke with was somewhat ignorant. They also have bad accent like the lady whom I encountered at the check in counter. The cabin crew of Garuda Indonesia has to be well versed with basic know how about the plane. Good customer service is going beyond your passenger’s expectation.

Garuda Indonesia Airlines
Sally says :

Am I allowed to take Australian honey to Bali?

becca5040 replies :

Hey Sally, Thanks for reading. Matters like that can best answered by Airline personnel. Liquid onboard is now a matter of security. So kindly ask them. You can pick any local number of Garuda from their website or any local travel agent in your area. Take Care, Becca5040

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 401012917050631/k2311a1210/12.10.09