Carrie Underwood: An All-Star Holiday Special
  • I love Carrie Underwood and I think if she plays her cards right, she'll be around for decades and end up being a country music legend
  • That said, overall, I was very disappointed because there was nothing holiday about this special
  • I enjoyed the cameos by Ryan Seacrest and Bo Bice

• by Orrymain

I love Carrie Underwood and I think if she plays her cards right, she’ll be around for decades and end up being a country music legend. Of course, there’s a long way to go before then, but she has the potential. As someone who watched the high schooler compete and win American Idol, I’ve had fun following her rise up the country ladder to where she is today, which is being one of the biggest singing stars of Nashville. Thus, I was very excited to hear about and watch Carrie Underwood: An All-Star Holiday Special on Fox TV the other night.

That said,

overall, I was very disappointed because there was nothing holiday about this special. I was expecting a mixture of her hits with holiday standards. What we got were skits, lots of hits, and one holiday song. Granted, that song (Oh Holy Night) was a blockbuster, but it was like it was tossed into the special just so they could give it the name of ‘holiday’. In fact, while guest star Dolly Parton sang one holiday tune right before Oh Holy Night, the three song Christmas set as they called it began not with a holiday song but with Carrie’s hit Jesus Take ...

• the Wheel. I’m sorry, but while that is an inspirational song, it is not a Christmas song.

I feel lied to and cheated. I expected holiday, and this show did not deliver in the slightest.

That said, some of the skits had cute moments and certainly, Carrie let herself be the brunt of jokes. I enjoyed the cameos by Ryan Seacrest and Bo Bice; the bit with her dog Ace was a hoot; and her mom was hysterical — that was great. I didn’t quite like the continuing skits about Carrie trying to get her sister a date. That was a little over

the top.

David Cook gave a nice performance and I enjoyed the duet done via satellite with Brad Paisley. I especially liked that it was old country, a bit of Conway Twitty and Loretta Lynn with “Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man”. Both Brad and Carrie are big supporters of the Grand Ole Opry, so that song seemed very appropriate to me.

The two hour special did drag and have its sour moments, but the singing was first rate and I liked that it was more like an old fashioned holiday variety special. Still, I’m very upset about the holiday promotion not delivering. That was uncool.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 10912916600931/k2311a129/12.9.09