Barry Manilow Happy Holiday DVD
  • Now I'm not sure, but I think there might have been moments that didn't make it on the DVD, probably for financial reasons

• by Orrymain

In 2003, A&E TV had a series called Live By Request, and that’s what this DVD is a copy of, their Live By Request holiday show with Barry Manilow. I remember watching that. Now I’m not sure, but I think there might have been moments that didn’t make it on the DVD, probably for financial reasons. This happens sometimes. It’s been a long time since I saw it on TV but

even the credits on the DVD seem to indicate something that isn’t actually part of the show we see.

I actually decided to research this and find that my suspicions are correct. Bette Midler was on that original special which was a two hour show. The DVD marketing mentions only the other two guest stars, Cyndi Lauper and Jose Feliciano. In the credits, however, Midler is mentioned. The DVD is only 70 ...

• minutes long, also confirming that much was edited out of it. In fact, even the show host was edited out.

I suppose that on the good side, this means that what we get is more of just Barry, but I recall that the Midler moments were good, so I miss that. I also think the promotion should mention that this is an edited version of that original broadcast.

That said, Barry is Barry, and he’s

wonderful to watch all the time. Of particular note were the 5 Barry Bobbleheads during Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and the duet with Feliciano to Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. On the ridiculous side was a ridiculous viewer who requested Copacabana. That was just insane; graciously, Barry sang it and tried to Christmas it up a little bit.

Overall this is a nice DVD to own. I just wish it was complete.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 14912916590931/k2311a129/12.9.09