Ghost Rider movie  » Movies  »
1.5
  • That's about all I know about the comic so I can't really say how true it was to the source material
  • He thinks this movie rules and while I disagree, this movie does have a few bright spots
  • I think the problem is that almost every first superhero movie is an origin story and there are only so many times you can make that compelling

• by David Finniss

There’ve been a lot of comic book adaptations in recent years, a vast majority of which have been Marvel films. While DC released two Batman films and a Superman film, Marvel released a slew of hit or miss summer blockbusters. One of these was “Ghost Rider”. It’s about a guy who makes a deal with Satan to become his bounty hunter and then turns on his master, it’s like Spawn, only PG-13.

That’s about all I know about the comic so I can’t really say how “true” it was to the source material. I can say that the acting and the script in this movie were

not particularly good.

Nicolas Cage has been on a downward spiral lately and this movie doesn’t help him. There’s no substance. It tries, but having Johnny Blaze (yes that’s his real name) look out a window and repeatedly ask people if they believe in second chances doesn’t make it “deep”.

The humor isn’t funny, the special effects are mediocre at best and the action scenes are anticlimactic. The soundtrack isn’t very good either, there are a couple of good tracks, but overall..meh.

The guy who played the bad guy (the emo dude from American Beauty, yes he’s the villain) was doing a passable job as the antagonist. It wasn’t great, but I didn’t think he sucked. That is until he delivered his “My name is Legion” line. First off, that line has been used way too much recently and secondly, the way he says the line is honestly giggle inducing.

Now, my roommate has the opposite opinion. He thinks this movie rules and while I disagree, this movie does have a few bright spots. Eva Mendes is very good looking and I know, that seems like objectification, but really what’s wrong with admiring beauty? The other thing about this movie that almost (I repeat almost) saves this movie is Sam ...

• Ghost Rider movie
      Elliot who plays a previous Ghost Rider who sort of trains the newbie. Sam Elliot is always awesome and that brings this movie up a grade. If you rent this, just skip to all the scenes with him. It will warp your perception of the film, but that’s really all you need. I could listen to Sam Elliot talk forever so they should’ve just had him talk for the entire runtime.

With Marvel starting to develop its own movies, we can take comfort in the fact that the number of movies like this will be far fewer in number. Alas, there is talk

of a sequel. I guess the movie did make money and while the movie wasn’t good, it’s not anything that a good sequel couldn’t fix. I think the problem is that almost every first superhero movie is an origin story and there are only so many times you can make that compelling. The movie is bland and uninteresting, but aside from that one line it’s not really pain inducing. There are certainly worse movies, but as far as comic book movies go, this one’s near the bottom of the barrel. I say pass on this one because better adaptations of super heroes have been done.

Ghost Rider movie

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11912916220931/k2311a129/12.9.09