Couran Cove Island eco-resort
Couran Cove Island resort, South Stradbroke Island, Queensland Australia
  • I also did an interesting stroll here along a boardwalk which goes through Melaleuca wetland rainforest and swamp
  • The honey eaters were so friendly, that they helped me with my daily buffet breakfast which I enjoyed at the Poolside café on Spa Island
  • It wasn’t a budget experience, but in my opinion, a great place for a relaxing outdoors holiday in a unique environment

• by Alan Benge

Couran Cove resort is located on North Stradbroke Island, in Queensland Australia. You can get there via a 40 minute ferry ride from the Gold Coast.

When I stayed there recently, I had no idea of what an eco-resort would be like. I was pleasantly surprised to find native rainforest, eucalyptus woodlands and mangroves all within easy reach of Couran Cove. The resort takes its eco-tourism role quite seriously, and they offer guided walks and displays to help you explore various natural attractions.

To view this eco environment, I particularly liked using a hired resort bicycle to get

around - there are lots of trails and roads you can ride along, with no other vehicles to contend with apart from golf buggies used in servicing the resort.

I also did an interesting stroll here along a boardwalk which goes through Melaleuca wetland rainforest and swamp. I climbed up a lookout tower which allowed a treetop view of the area. Great for photos.

The resort is set around a lagoon and most apartments or chalets are built out over the water, looking across a yacht-filled harbour.

Couran Cove is surrounded by natural bush, and a feature I ...

• particularly liked was seeing tame kangaroos wandering amongst the chalets and around the resort.

The most common species here is the sandy brown coloured Agile Wallaby (Macropus agillus).The ones I saw were more in relaxing mode rather than agile, but perhaps they too were on vacation like myself.

There is an abundance of wildlife on the island, and I spotted goannas, sea eagles, pelicans, brightly coloured honey-eaters and lorikeets during my stay. The honey eaters were so friendly, that they helped me with my daily buffet breakfast which I enjoyed at the Poolside café on Spa Island.

A typical ‘special‘ package to stay at Couran Cove would include a rate of $A122 per night per adult (twinshare). This inclues a buffet breakfast and ferry transfers. Most accommodation offers water views. The meals are of excellent quality and there are three or four restaurants to choose from.

During my stay I worked out at the spacious and well-equipped gym, went fishing at the magnificent ocean beach nearby, and hiked the island trails. It wasn’t a budget experience, but in my opinion, a great place for a relaxing outdoors holiday in a unique environment.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2912915750831/k2311a129/12.9.09