Namibia The Seals of Cape Cross  » Travel  »
Cape Cross, Namibia
  • I paid our admissions ticket at the front office and except for waiting a bit for a group of Chinese tourists, I eventually got my tickets
  • I must admit that driving was more convenient as it was rather cold at that time with gale force winds blowing
  • Ugh, I thought but I pinched my nose or held my breath for a few seconds to avoid the smell which was impossible
  • I decided to check out the adjacent area which was the first cross erected by the first Europeans who landed in Namibia in the olden times
  • Definitely worth a visit but if I ever come back to that area, I would bring a mask with me

• by bethbarl

One of the places which was listed on our itinerary when my family and I did a 3 week trip to Namibia and South Africa was the Cape Cross Seals. It was about an hour and a half ride from Swakopmund. My husband drove here first before entering Swakopmund which is a sea side area in Namibia.

It was not difficult to find the area as there were enough panels indicating the way from Henties Bay. There were already a lot of cars in the parking area which indicated to me that this place was popular among tourists. I paid our admissions ticket at the front office and except for waiting a bit for a group of Chinese tourists, I eventually got my tickets. There were also restroom facilities adjacent to the ticketing building which were clean.

It

was still a 5 minute drive to where the colonies of seals were. I must admit that driving was more convenient as it was rather cold at that time with gale force winds blowing. I knew I had still to walk a bit as I did not think it was possible to see the seals at a distance. As soon as I got out of the car and while walking on the plank ways, the air was just smelling foul. Although I was warned by my husband that the surroundings would be stinking, I was not fully prepared for that stench which I felt was going right through me. Ugh, I thought but I pinched my nose or held my breath for a few seconds to avoid the smell which was impossible. It was either ...

• see the seals or stay in the car. But then, I thought I came to this place specifically to see them, I should not back down because of the smell which would not kill or harm me at all.

I was glad I did. There were thousands and thousands of these cute but funny animals. As it was the breeding season, I was also happy to see the pups who were still being fed by their mums. My own kids were also excited and wanted to walk amongst these creatures (forbidden, of course). We soon forgot their foul scents. I was amazed at how closely knit those seals were and were very protective of each other especially with the young ones. Nearby were 2 jackals which would walk on the side waiting to pounce if the

pups would go astray. I also loved seeing them swim in the waters although I thought they would walk really funny. Their cries sounded funny as well.

Anyway, at one moment the foul odor bothered me again. I decided to check out the adjacent area which was the first cross erected by the first Europeans who landed in Namibia in the olden times. Apart from reading the small engraved stone with the history of the Cape Cross, there was nothing much to see there but at least it weakened the strong smell coming from the seals.

All in all, it was a nice, short trip and was everything – educational and fun to see the seals in their natural habitat. Definitely worth a visit but if I ever come back to that area, I would bring a mask with me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38812915090631/k2311a128/12.8.09