South Africa Pilanesburg Game Reserve
Pilanesurg, outh Africa
  • We thought that the best way to see the game reserve was to stay in one of the several hotels and guest lodges which were inside the Reserve
  • I agreed with him as having done so many safari and game drives in this continent, I thought we were educated and experienced enough to know the basics such as the do’s and don’ts of self-game drives
  • Unfortunately, it was too late to move and all we could do was sit still and be ever so quiet
  • Thankfully, they crossed without a problem and we all heaved a sigh of relief when they did
  • What was convenient about the reserve was that there was a restaurant just after the dirt road which even caters for conference needs

• by bethbarl

This Game Reserve in South Africa is one of the easier trips to do from Gaborone, Botswana’s capital. It usually takes us about 3 hours before reaching the place. We thought that the best way to see the game reserve was to stay in one of the several hotels and guest lodges which were inside the Reserve. It would be easy to drive though the park and take as much time as we want without worrying that the gates of the Park would close. There are several accommodations available inside the game reserve which would suit a medium to a high range budget. I booked in one the more affordable hotels for our 2 night stay in the area.

Although the park was huge, it was easy to drive through the reserve. The dirt and access roads were all well maintained it was not even necessary to have

a 4×4 vehicle. I saw a lot of normal cars inside the Park and they did not seem to have any trouble maneuvering the roads.

The entrance to the park was not complicated to find and registration/payment were done quickly. The fees were also affordable. I did buy a map which was necessary as my husband intended to drive the park without any park rangers. I agreed with him as having done so many safari and game drives in this continent, I thought we were educated and experienced enough to know the basics such as the do’s and don’ts of self-game drives. We certainly both knew when to drive away as that moment when we saw two elephant bulls fighting with each other in the middle of the road. Now, there was no way the car could go around these mammoth animals and in the state they were in,

• fighting for supremacy and marking their territories, the slightest motion of any car was enough to set them off in the direction of the car. My husband and I just decided to drive back as we would have been attacked had we persisted. That was a close call and these elephants can be mighty mean.

Apart from the bulls, the rest of our drive was uneventful although when I saw the rhinos, I almost thought we would be in the same predicament again as with the elephants. There were about 3 rhinos peacefully grazing and at one moment, these prehistoric animals decided it was time to change pastures and decided to cross the road where we were dutifully watching them. Unfortunately, it was too late to move and all we could do was sit still and be ever so quiet. I dared not even bat my eyelashes as these

rhinos are also huge with horns that looked so powerful. Thankfully, they crossed without a problem and we all heaved a sigh of relief when they did.

There were the usual animals that we saw such as giraffes, antelopes, warthog, lots of birds but our 2 encounters above were the most exciting if not scary to recount. I also some hippos from the riverside but I thought we saw enough already and passed up on this one.

What was convenient about the reserve was that there was a restaurant just after the dirt road which even caters for conference needs. The funny thing was even in the restaurant’s parking, we saw an albino warthog which was rather tame. The restaurant was a good place to get our bearings back and although it did not serve exceptional meals, it was always good to get something to eat and drink. Prices were reasonable as well.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38812915060631/k2311a128/12.8.09