South Africa Cape Agulhas
Western Cape, South Africa
  • Upon reaching Cape Agulhas, I thought that there was nothing special about it
  • The sea before us was quite rough but I always loved the ocean and for me, if Cape Agulhas had nothing more to offer than being in the south, I actually enjoyed being there because I also got to breathe in sea air and was out in the open

• by bethbarl

One of the day trips my family and I took was a journey to Cape Agulhas which was at the southernmost point of Africa. My husband insisted that we should see it as according to him we could not possibly go more south than at Cape Agulhas. In addition, this was the point where the 2 oceans (Atlantic and Indian) would be divided and for him, this was worthy of a visit.

The whole journey lasted about 3 hours from Cape Town. The roads were paved and for the small car that we rented, it was enough to take us and back to the Cape. The scenery along the way was also beautiful, I did not mind the ride at all.

It was not difficult to find the way as the roads were

full of signage which indicated the right path to take. After leaving the tarred road, at one moment the dirt road began as this was the way leading to the sea.

Upon reaching Cape Agulhas, I thought that there was nothing special about it. It was a place near the sea with lots of big rocks and a panel which said Cape Agulhas, the southernmost part. I thought that was not spectacular but at least in my mind, I knew that I stood there where the oceans divided. There was quite a lot of people that day and even a few buses which I guessed transported these tourists. Maybe, they felt the same way as I did. Just being able to say that they were in Cape Agulhas was sort of ...

• a statement – they have been to the southernmost point of Africa.

The sea before us was quite rough but I always loved the ocean and for me, if Cape Agulhas had nothing more to offer than being in the south, I actually enjoyed being there because I also got to breathe in sea air and was out in the open. For me, it was a better way of spending my time rather than spending the whole day in the hotel room or in the city of Cape Town. It was also something different to do.

All in all, the drive to Cape Agulhas took us longer than the time we spent there. As there were no facilities in that area, it was not possible to stay longer with the sun beaming at

us. Unless you brought a picnic table, chairs, umbrellas, food and drinks there was not much to do there. Most of the tourists I saw just took photos, looked a bit at the surroundings and sped away. My family and I managed though to sit on the rocks, savor the sea and did the same - took a lot of photos. My kids did not also want to leave without playing in the sand and dipping their feet in the sea water.

Visiting Cape Agulhas was still for me worthwhile. I bear pride in the fact that I was standing at the southernmost tip of Africa. It was not difficult to find the place, you have the sea before you and the whole drive was pleasant and relaxed. It will only cost you gas money.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38812915050631/k2311a128/12.8.09