South Africa World of Birds
Hout Bay, South Africa
  • I thought there would not be many things to do and see here
  • Anyway, the main purpose of staying in Hout Bay was to avoid the big traffic that was in Cape Town
  • I paid the customary admission of about R 65 per adult and the kids alittle less
  • What impressed me the most were the owls as they were really funny
  • I had such a nice time that I did not ever regret visiting that place

• by bethbarl

The last time I was in South Africa, I stayed at Hout Bay. I thought there would not be many things to do and see here. Anyway, the main purpose of staying in Hout Bay was to avoid the big traffic that was in Cape Town. I was perfectly happy to relax from all the driving we were doing the last couple of weeks. But my kids were restless as they did not really have anything to do.

The owner of the guesthouse suggested that we visit the World of Birds which was just a few minutes away from where we were staying. Nothing would have seemed so far away as we had our car with us which made us mobile and flexible. We could move where and when we wanted to. The owner gave us directions as well which was

straightforward and in no time we arrived at the place.

I paid the customary admission of about R 65 per adult and the kids alittle less. My first impression of the place was that it would take us just an hour to tour the place as it appeared small. However, it was not. There were plenty of things to see and I was not too sure that we covered every inch of it. The aviaries were classified according to the type of birds like small birds would be grouped together and the preying ones in another place. I was amazed at the number of birds (in cages of course) which were there. The place hosted primarily birds which were found in southern Africa. I never knew that many species of birds existed in this part of the continent. There were lots of colourful ...

• ones small, medium, big, pretty, nondescript and ugly (vultures) ones.

What impressed me the most were the owls as they were really funny. It was not the first time I saw an owl but seeing so many at the same time was a different matter. I was even scared to go inside the aviary as I was afraid they would swoop down on me. Those huge eyes were certainly following my every movement. And, when they do a 360 degree turn that was a bit eerie.

The park was easy to negotiate although it took longer to finish the visit as I underestimated the number of things I could see here. The whole place was sort of cages amongst a garden with lots of trees and plants. If we got tired, there were numerous benches around where we could sit. There was also

a small restaurant, tuck and curio shop. In front was a safe parking which was available for cars but it was rather small. If there were too many cars or even buses, there was no other recourse but to park them outside.

Apart from birds, I also enjoyed the little animals which were there such as some monkeys, squirrels and even iguanas. It was a pity that I could not see some kangaroos which were also there but the place was not accessible to visitors.

Please don’t miss this wonderful place the next time you are in Hout Bay or even in Cape Town. It is easy to visit and I am sure you will enjoy the various species of birds and little animals that they have there. I had such a nice time that I did not ever regret visiting that place.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38812915040631/k2311a128/12.8.09