Botswana Manayana Rock Paintings  » Travel  »
Manayana, Botswana
  • I did not even think we would see the rock paintings at all which were tiny as I found out later had we ventured on our own
  • Otherwise, it was quite an interesting afternoon and our guide even volunteered to show us the Livingstone tree which was also another tourist attraction nearby
  • Except for the small size of the carvings themselves, I think the trip was a good introduction to rock painting as a form of art for the earlier people in general

• by bethbarl

On a separate occasion, I visited the Manayana Rock Paintings which was not far from Gaborone. Gaborone is a sleepy city and as my husband and I are not into malling, we preferred something educational or nature as a means of entertainment.

Our weekends would be spent discovering what the city or the country has to offer. There was not a holiday where we did not travel and although it has become tiring for me, I was glad I was able to see all these places.

The place was not difficult to find as there were enough indications by means of panels which showed the way. It was also easy to reach the place as it was a mere hour drive away from Gabs. The area was actually fenced and

there was even a guard on duty. Behind were rocks or boulders which looked huge and sharp.

The guard volunteered to be our guide and I was glad he did. I did not even think we would see the rock paintings at all which were tiny as I found out later had we ventured on our own. Apart from being friendly, he was also very knowledgeable about the history of the area and seemed to know about the rock paintings themselves which were the focus of our visit there.

The first few rock paintings were not difficult to see although they were, to my mind, really minute, no more than a size of an A4 paper. Set against the vastness of the wall of the rock just made them even ...

• smaller as they looked to have vanished. In addition, the early tribesmen did not have crayons at that time and used only sharp implements to etch their drawings on the wall. The color of the rocks was so similar to the drawings that unless the guide pointed their location, I would not have spotted them.

The next ones were no different and after climbing a bit, I saw some more rock painting which were at least a bit visible. However, deciphering these rock paintings was not an easy task. I saw some animals like a zebra which incidentally is the national animal of Botswana and some human figures. Our guide also quizzed us on what we thought the paintings represented but I was clueless. Everyone would start throwing in

wild guesses but these did not represent any substantial meaning nor had they any depth. Frankly, I was not much into symbolisms but these paintings had a lot to do with symbols.

Otherwise, it was quite an interesting afternoon and our guide even volunteered to show us the Livingstone tree which was also another tourist attraction nearby. But, we had to slowly make our way back to Gaborone as we did not want to drive in the dark. For a few pulas that I gave to the guide to show our appreciation (there was no entrance fee to see the rock paintings), the trip was worth it. Except for the small size of the carvings themselves, I think the trip was a good introduction to rock painting as a form of art for the earlier people in general.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38812914540531/k2311a128/12.8.09