Scrubs: Our First Day of School  » TV  »
  • Maybe it will pick up, but the best part of this episode was the familiar cast members and since they're not on full time I'm having a hard time understanding why the show's still going

• by David Finniss

I kind of lost track of Scrubs about midway through the last season. My DVR wasn’t working and there are way too many shows on to watch. I had read that they were going to renew the show for another season, even though most of the cast was leaving. I was hoping that this was just speculation that would die out and that the show would end with the aptly named “My Finale”, of course, it didn’t.

I’m not a fan of the new cast. They don’t have the same appeal that the old set of characters had and it seems like they’re just covering ground that they

already covered in the early season. Ok, they’re med students instead of interns, but the idea is still the same.

When I saw not one of the main cast in the credits I got worried, it was nice that most of the cast came in to help with the segue, but I didn’t really get into this the same way I did with other episodes.

There are a few funny moments, and Lucy, the main intern, seems affable enough but overall there’s not enough appeal to justify a whole season. Maybe it will pick up, but the best part of this episode was the familiar cast members and since they’re not ...

• on full time I’m having a hard time understanding why the show’s still going.

McGinley is great as always but even he doesn’t really seem in it anymore. Braff hams it up and continues to pine for Cox’s attention. The idea that Perry doesn’t respect him even gets lampshaded when Perry asks him if they had already gotten past that.

One of the problems with ‘The Simpsons” is that it went on way too long. Most shows know when they’re about done. Seinfeld ended when it ended, Monk did the same, shows can’t go on forever and this is one that really should’ve been done. It

limped through the fifth and sixth seasons, the seventh season was OK and even the eighth started to get it’s mojo back so why not end it there?

I’m not really a fan of the idea of shows changing to the point where they’re practically spin offs of themselves. I remember Carter tried the same thing with The X-Files, replacing Mulder and Scully with Doggett and Reyes and as fans are quick to point out, that didn’t work as well. Hopefully ABC has enough sense to end this show because it’s had a fine run and I don’t want to see it run into the ground through constant renewals and revamps.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 10712913900531/k2311a127/12.7.09