South Africa Two Oceans Aquarium
V&A Waterfront, Cape Town, South Africa
  • I must say I was impressed with the quantity of fishes and marine animals that they had in their aquariums
  • We had no problem to see the brightly colored fishes, the sharks, turtles and a whole lot of creatures we never saw before
  • The whole tour was very interesting as in reality, the name of the aquarium was derived from the fact that they were exhibiting marine life from both the Atlantic and the Indian Oceans
  • In all respects, I would not hesitate to recommend this place to those who have kids and even to adults who are interested in learning about the marine life in the Indian and Atlantic Oceans
  • You get the best of two oceans all in one roof

• by bethbarl

As expected of any tourist, I visited some places when I was in Cape Town. In particular, as I had 2 kids in tow who need to be amused and a husband who did not want to be dragged to the shops, one of the unanimous choices we picked as a family was to visit the Two Oceans Aquarium.

Now, everyone had seen the Oceanarium in Lisbon and we thought there was really nothing special to see in this place. But, I was wrong. Although there were a lot of people that day as this aquarium is right at the heart of the busy V&A Waterfront, the queue moved rather fast and in no time, I got the admissions tickets for the 4 of us. It was also not that expensive.

The halls,

corridors were well marked and we could do the tour quietly without getting lost nor missing anything significant. I must say I was impressed with the quantity of fishes and marine animals that they had in their aquariums. We had no problem to see the brightly colored fishes, the sharks, turtles and a whole lot of creatures we never saw before. The tanks were clean and the animals were very visible at all angles.

The whole tour was very interesting as in reality, the name of the aquarium was derived from the fact that they were exhibiting marine life from both the Atlantic and the Indian Oceans. That was very exciting and I have never seen the blend of marine life from two different oceans all in one place. I don’t know but ...

• I was quite very scholarly that day, I must’ve read everything on their signage and explanatory panels including the oceans and where I could find these fishes and creatures. My kids were the same. They started reading everything they could set their eyes on and were carefully observing all the animals they saw in the aquarium.

If we got tired, we would simply sit on benches and chairs for a small break and would continue again. It was not that big but in order to appreciate the marine animals better, one has to take the time to watch them closely and not just rush from one aquarium to another. In addition, as I looked carefully, there were also smaller species which I could not see as they were overtaken by the bigger

ones, had I not watched closely. I found the sea bed creatures the most interesting like eels, jellyfishes, the corals, little crabs and all those anemones which I have not seen before. I believed the whole trip was quite educational and enlightening.

In all respects, I would not hesitate to recommend this place to those who have kids and even to adults who are interested in learning about the marine life in the Indian and Atlantic Oceans. The aquarium is well organized, the entrance tickets are reasonable, there are clean restrooms and the whole experience is very educational. It is a fun way of discovering things and relaxing at the same time without actually being in the water or diving/snorkelling at depths unimaginable. You get the best of two oceans all in one roof.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38712913760531/k2311a127/12.7.09