Spain Cathedral of Seville  » Travel  »
Sevilla, Andalusia, Spain
  • But, since I was visiting Sevilla in the Andalusia province of Spain, I thought I should revive my Catholic upbringing once more
  • Overall, I think this church is still worth visiting

• by bethbarl

I used to visit a lot of churches before especially when I was in Europe but not anymore. But, since I was visiting Sevilla in the Andalusia province of Spain, I thought I should revive my Catholic upbringing once more.

This Gothic cathedral was certainly impressive. It was also just right across the hotel where I was staying there was no reason to miss it. It’s not difficult to orient myself while walking in the narrow streets of Sevilla because this structure would just be all over the town. In addition, the brochures in the hotel indicated that this was the 3rd largest Gothic cathedral in the world, my husband and I thought it would be silly to miss it. Frankly, I have no idea what Gothic architecture meant but anyway, I agreed to

visit it with my family.

The fees were I guess normal by European standards. There was a lot of people which was comprehensible as Sevilla is a touristic area and this church was a major attraction. I felt cold as I entered the dark, gloomy cathedral. It was not yet full spring so I suppose that was normal as inside was just cement and cold stones.

The cathedral was full of religious relics, statues, altars and a lot were in gold. I always marvelled at how the church people plundered all those countries in South America and there I was gawking at those treasures. I felt horrible that I was believing in all these. Setting my convictions aside, I tried to be open minded about it and proceeded with the tour on ...

• a clinical mind frame set. However, when I saw how lavish and ornate the walls and pillars were, my initial disgust would come back again. I could already imagine how many people had to put in so much labor and hard work just to build this cathedral. The highlight of course of this tour was the tower or the La Giralda which I guessed is the most prominent part of this cathedral whether you are inside or outside of the building.

My kids were not really into any of these and in fact, were happy to get out of that gloomy building or dungeon as they called it. Personally, I did not think that children would be happy to see any church at all. I, myself, as an adult

was quite uncomfortable with all those statues staring at me. It was worse for my kids or for any kid for that matter.

Overall, I think this church is still worth visiting. Unlike the Alhambra which requires advance booking, you can go to this church easily. You don’t need a tour guide as for me everything was quite self-explanatory. The church might be big but it was not difficult to follow the chapels nor to get out of it. It was certainly an impressive architecture and this fact was undeniable. I would not likely visit it again but at least it reminded me of how much power the church had in the olden (still has at present) days and how much wealth was accumulated by them at the expense of other people.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38712913720531/k2311a127/12.7.09