Gigabyte gsmart i120  » Phones  »
  • All in all I dont have any big issue on this front
  • But as far as sound output from its speaker is concerned this phone disappointed me
  • This was one of the reasons why I bought this set too

• by toxictaz

I was in need of a smartphone but I couldnt really decide which one to buy. I spent countless hours searching for the right phone that could fit in my budget. In the beginning I had a strong inclination towards Nokia because of its popularity strong market presence. While going through all this one day my cousin emailed a ebay link where Gigabyte gsmart i120 was being sold for approximately US$100. At the first glance I mistook its looks with one of those cheap made in china phones. And believe me, a lot of people feel the same way when they get to see it. But going through the specifications and doing some research I realized how wrong I was. This phone was a wonder and available at such a low price.

I quickly placed an order which I recieved in safe and sound condition within 3 days. After using this phone for a week or so it dawned on me that unlike Nokias or Samsung who use Symbian or Java operating systems, the Windows mobile operating system used by this phone takes a little longer

to get used to. But with time I am absolutely comfortable with the interface. When we talk of form factor and ergonomics, an ideal cellphone should be slim, light, easy to operate, and good looking. Well, Gsmart i120 does not have it all in its favour. In fact it is too bulky and does not have nothing to boast about in terms of looks. The most difficult part for me is to type on its touchscreen.

It should have been atleast 3. 0″ instead of 2. 4″. Typing with fingers is difficult. Moreover the touch sensitive screen should have been more responsive. Now the good points are that the screen resolution of 240×320 is excellent, producing sharp and vivid display thanks to its 64k color output screen. All in all I dont have any big issue on this front.

Sound output in earphones is excellent and if you have any of those high end Bose or Koss earphones than it sounds like the sweetest thing in the world. But as far as sound output from its speaker is concerned this phone disappointed me. But no worries as I ...

• hardly play my music without the earphones on. Being a pocket pc there are tons of applications available for windows mobille platform for various purposes. In fact some application developers launch thier products first for windows mobile and then on symbian or other platforms. The phone comes loaded with Windows Mobile 6. The camera of Gsmart i120 is good if not excellent.

It allows snapping photos in two modes namely closeup mode and macro mode. Former is for extemely close and orbjects while the latter is for faraway my important documents so as to have a soft copy for them. But the quality of images shot by its 2. 1 mp camera are not at par with the phones having cameras of same category. If you are serious about the qiuality of images, let me warn you that you may get disappointed. Photos taken even in ample lighting conditions turn out to be grainy. Videos are made at low framerate giving unsatisfactory result.

However for a casual shutterbug like me all these drawbacks make no difference. As far as I have a camera lens and a button to

shoot I am happy! Battery backup for average use is satisfactory. Gigabyte provides two batteries with this phone. When you run out of first, the second one is always there to the resque. i120 has the capability of showing TV and recording them too. This was one of the reasons why I bought this set too. Moreover it records FM radio too.

This phone has got wifi connectivity too. Although I have not yet tried it. I use GPRS connection for connecting to the web. I would like to mention the problems that I have had so far with this phone. 1. While charging, if I touch its metal surface I get a mild sensation of current flowing throw my fingertips. 2.

Dust has started to gather inside the camera lens. 3. It supports only minisd card. I had a hard time searching for a 4 gb card but couldnt get one because they are almost obsolete. So I had to settle for a mini sd to micro sd adapter. All in all the phone is good for people who are looking for a touchscreen smartphone with windows mobile.

suhas says :

tv not working,unable to connect pc,unable to install java program

Jules Li says :

Suhas, I’m sorry but you’re not being specific enough in describing the problems. Instead of stating the issues in general terms, I suggest stating exactly the error messages or the circumstances surrounding the issues.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 37712913430431/k2311a127/12.7.09