Apocalyptica - Apocalyptica Plays Metallica By Four Cellos
  • In my opinion, the twist of doing all these covers on cellos is an interesting one
  • In fact, I still definitely associate Apocalyptica with Metallica covers even thought they’ve definitely expanded out of simply playing Metallica covers and into their own band, but I really can’t get over this concept
  • The Good – The best thing about this album is that just the concept of it sounds so brilliant and appealing to me
  • I know that Metallica did the whole concert with the San Francisco Symphony, S&M, but this is just a merging of Metallica with classical music even more and it works nicely in my opinion, well at least for some songs
  • Secondly, dynamics is sort of an issue with only four cellos as well

• by Grimmy101

Overview – Apocalyptica a Finnish rock band released their debut album which was filled with nothing Metallica covers, but the twist is, all of these covers are played on cellos. I mean the idea of a group releasing an album of Metallica covers doesn’t sound special or unique at all, so many people and bands cover Metallica that a person would wonder, why would this group gain notoriety and popularity just from playing Metallica covers. In my opinion, the twist of doing all these covers on cellos is an interesting one. There’s no denying that these cellists are excellent players and musicians overall and it’s interesting they made their entire debut record up of Metallica covers. In fact, I still definitely associate Apocalyptica with Metallica covers even thought they’ve definitely expanded out of simply playing Metallica covers and into their own band, but I really can’t get over this concept. I mean, Metallica is one of my favorite bands in all of music and I think this interpretation of their music is simply great. Although it may not work absolutely everywhere, for the most, the interpretation is great.

so brilliant and appealing to me. Metallica is one of my favorite bands in all of music and I definitely appreciate a lot of classical music as well so really blending the two is definitely an idea that I would at least be interested in. I know that Metallica did the whole concert with the San Francisco Symphony, S&M, but this is just a merging of Metallica with classical music even more and it works nicely in my opinion, well at least for some songs. However, a brilliant idea with poor execution doesn’t do anyone any good so the execution is just as important, luckily Apocalyptica pulls it off. The four in this band aren’t just four kids who are fans of Metallica and happen to play cello, these musicians are technically brilliant and you can tell they’re extremely proficient on their instruments. So right now, the concept is good and the playing is good, sounds good doesn’t it? The third part is that I really like how every part of Metallica’s song is covered, if it can be at least. I know that Apocalyptica didn’t even attempt to play the second solo in Master Of Puppets, but if you think about hearing that ...

• on a cello, it just doesn’t sound like it could be done and it probably just didn’t have the right sound. What I mean by everything gets covered is that Apocalyptica isn’t just covering for James Hetfield rhythm guitar parts, they’re also playing most of Kirk Hammett’s leads along with all of Hetfield’s vocal parts as well. For the most part, I think that this record has an excellent idea and very good execution, but I’ll get into some of the flaws that I personally think it has.

The Bad – The biggest complaint I have against this record is that some of the song choice is just a bit strange to me. I think that the problem with this album is that Apocalyptica chose songs that were more of fan favorites rather than what could honestly work on their instruments. I mean, in the end, they end up getting all of these songs to work pretty well, but I think that a better song selection would’ve been more appropriate. Why they chose to do songs like Sad But True and Creeping Death, which really don’t have any extremely melodic parts, is sort of confusing to me. I’m glad that they did include The Unforgiven

and Welcome Home (Sanitarium) on here because both of those are extremely melodic and are actually probably the songs that work the best. In fact, if you listen, you’ll probably notice that the parts which sound the best are the melodic parts from the original Metallica song. Secondly, dynamics is sort of an issue with only four cellos as well. For example, right before the solo in Master Of Puppets where it’s building up, you can really feel that on the Metallica record, but on this album, it doesn’t really feel like it’s building up at all and that same feeling just isn’t there. This isn’t’ the only case on the album either, a lot of times where Metallica play with the dynamics a bit in the original song, Apocalyptica doesn’t really do that on here, but I can understand that it is harder to do that when all you’re working with is four cellos. For the most part however, this record is actually very interesting and I’d recommend it to a Metallica fan, although not so much a fan of classical music. Yes, there are some flaws, but obviously, translating Metallica into music for four cellos doesn’t exactly sound like something that would run extremely smoothly.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 14612912770931/k2311a126/12.6.09