The Gambia Kachikally Crocodile Pool  » Travel  »
Bakau, The Gambia
  • Visiting The Gambia was a different experience while living in West Africa
  • I thought I would not want to come face to face with some of those crocs without a local by my side
  • Several were particularly feisty and it was amazing to see them fight with their long snouts snapping in the water
  • For the price we paid, I consider this area to be very interesting and educational

• by bethbarl

Visiting The Gambia was a different experience while living in West Africa. My family and I were there for a beach holiday but decided to see some of the local tourist attractions. After all, we were tourists and we wanted to play the roles to the hilt. One of the places we visited while in Gambia was the sacred Kachikally Crocodile Pool.

We arranged for a local driver and taxi to take us to the spot which was frequently visited by tourists. The trip did not take very long as it was near Banjul, about 15-20 minutes ride. However, we had to walk quite a bit before reaching the pool. At the entrance, we had to pay a minimal fee and took a guide with us. I thought I would not want to come face to face with some of those crocs without a

local by my side.

Our guide was quite a friendly one and seemed to know his craft well. He explained the purpose of the Pool, why it was considered sacred and showed us around the area. I saw plenty of these crocodiles and it was not like these Nile crocs were just in a zoo or caged. They were roaming freely! I was terrified and I depended on the guide to lead us around and out of it safely. Initially, I thought that those crocs were really mean looking and sly. They were so still and with their color, one would not think they were alive and moving. I nearly stepped on one little one but saw it just in time.

I kept asking our guide if these crocs would harm us in anyway but he said that normally, visitors are taken in the ...

• Pool only when the crocs are fed. Okay, I thought, so these creatures would not snap us just like that. Besides, their diet consisted mainly of fishes and I was pretty sure we were not smelling like some although I was sweating as it was a hot day.

What was impressive was some fighting I saw in the Pool itself. The water was green and filled with algae but underneath those waters were crocs but I could only spot the black eyes on the surface which were like two marbles. Several were particularly feisty and it was amazing to see them fight with their long snouts snapping in the water. And, the tails were as long as they can be. I shuddered to think what these crocs would do to me if I fell into that water.

My kids had also fun discovering baby

crocs which we saw through our binoculars. That was the main advantage of having a guide. You knew exactly where to go especially the safe areas. At any rate, as these crocodiles were fed regularly, there was not imminent human threat. But just the same, I wanted to be on the safe side especially with 2 kids in tow. I really did not have the urge to pet or stroke these crocs even if the guide said there were other tourists who have done this before. Walking with them in my path was enough excitement for me. I even made sure I kept my distance.

For the price we paid, I consider this area to be very interesting and educational. It also gave me insights on how the locals perceived these animals as sacred and gave me an understanding of some local beliefs.

SHEILA PICKERSGILL says :

I went to the crocodile farm a few years ago and i did stroke the crocs i was told they were not dangerous i cant believe that i did it now but it was a great experience

Manu Mohan says :

Hi Shelia,
    My advice is not to take crocs lightly they are one of the most ferociouse carnivores on the planet so dont judge them by their size either. the crocs jaws have the power to rupture mettalic pipes into half in a single bite.
    Also they are pretty clever so dont even think of trying to trick a croc of doing something stupid but overall they are gentle animals If you dont provoke them .
    But dont be afraid of them remember the crocs are considered to be an endagngered species of animals and remember one last thing fear is our own thought but dont get me wrong danger is very real its how you see it that matters.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38612912070831/k2311a126/12.6.09