Senegal Cap Skirring
2.5
Casamance, Senegal
  • Although the problem was mainly between the rebels seeking independence and the military government, I did not think it was such a good idea to be caught in the crossfire
  • In fact, I ate the best Yassa chicken in one of those small restaurants
  • All in all, I found it be quite a charming place if one does not see the poverty which is rife side by side with the tourism facilities

• by bethbarl

Cap Skirring is the Mediterranean Sea of Senegal if not West Africa. To go here, one has either to take a flight from Dakar or direct flights from Western Europe. For us, it was a neighbour while we were in Guinea-Bissau, we often went there by car. The roads leading to Cap Skirring were as bad as can be with potholes as deep as 2 meters. I would not have the courage to drive here in an ordinary car. But, there were some who did and I could not imagine how difficult it was to drive this way. Although it was very near in distance, the whole trip took about 5 hours simply because one could not drive fast enough. In fact, one had to drive very carefully because of the very bad condition of the roads.

But, the most difficult thing to wrestle was the security threat to this whole Casamance area. Military checks were done randomly with spot checks in strategic locations. I was not really bothered by this although at

certain times, I was quite afraid. Although the problem was mainly between the rebels seeking independence and the military government, I did not think it was such a good idea to be caught in the crossfire. Through military alerts, we would learn if it was safe to visit the area or not. We had other problems as well to mention a few which were internal to Bissau but if there was nothing going on in the Casamance, we often went to Cap Skirring for a weekend or a longer beach holiday.

If you had other things besides the beach, then this is not the right place to go. It is quite a poorly developed area with little facilities. The tourism sector, however,is well developed catering mostly to European tourists. There wass electricity but its supply is not constant and there would sometimes be power failures.

The whole Casamance area is a beautiful scenery as the soil is very fertile. As a result, lush verdant greens could be seen everywhere. The bad state of the ...

• roads was forgotten as one passes these lively greenery with lots of coconut trees, some ricefields and little mudhuts which were traditional houses of the locals.

Apart from agriculture, tourism was a major revenue earner for this region and as one enters Cap Skirring, the side facing the beach was just lined with hotels, guest lodges and some small restaurants. In fact, I ate the best Yassa chicken in one of those small restaurants. There was also an airstrip which serviced flights from Dakar and Europe.

All in all, I found it be quite a charming place if one does not see the poverty which is rife side by side with the tourism facilities. The beaches were lovely, with white powdery sands and full of coconut trees. It was not the cleanest beach I ever saw but I guess, there were other ones which were in a worse state. On the beach itself, you could see litter and trash and I guess, unless you are staying in one of those hotels, public beaches could

be worse. At least in hotels, they took care of their beachfront by cleaning the freeing debris and picking up trash regularly.

There was also a lot of nuisance from the locals who thought that every tourist is there to give away money. I would lie on the beach and some guys would come asking for money. I could understand this but at the same time, I also did not feel just handing dole outs to people as I am not a millionaire myself.

I guess in those times that I went to Cap Skirring I was just happy to get out of for a change and forget the difficult living conditions we were in. But, if given the chance I would not like to revisit the place again as it is a bit unstable, expensive and whether as an escape or not from reality, I would prefer to go somewhere else where I did not feel guilty that I was enjoying myself while others were just living in plain misery all in the same place.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38612912030831/k2311a126/12.6.09