Mokolodi Nature Reserve  » Travel  »
Gaborone, Botswana
  • The prices for any of these facilities are not cheap either but I know that any profit would fund their research activities and conservation projects
  • Animal stock is supposed to be high and I thought I would see elephants, rhinos and all these big animals
  • However, I was quite disappointed in this aspect
  • At any rate, for me, I was not impressed with the animals I saw or maybe I was just unlucky but I did not see something special

• by bethbarl

This Nature Reserve is located a bit farther from the city of Gaborone, about 40 minutes drive from where I live. It is larger than the Gaborone Game Reserve and supposedly has more animals in it. The fees are not very cheap, about P 50 or $ 7 per adult per visit. During our first year of living in Gaborone we actually bought an annual membership which covered unlimited visits to the Reserve including the vehicle. There were also discounts offered for various merchants although not once was I able to use it.

The Reserve has a lot of amenities to offer such as an upscale restaurant, picnic areas, a curio shop, conference facilities and even accommodation. The prices for any of these facilities are not cheap either but I know that any profit

would fund their research activities and conservation projects.

One can also do a guided drive in their vehicles but for us, going on our own was nice as we could stop for as long as we want to observe animals and were in the comfort of our own vehicle. The prices for any of these facilities are not cheap either.

My first impression of this park was that it was difficult to drive it. Unless you have an off road vehicle, chances are you would get a punctured tire or break down as there are lots of big rocks on the paths. In addition, it is quite huge that once we were nearly lost and was turning around in circles.

Animal stock is supposed to be high and I thought I would see elephants, rhinos ...

• and all these big animals. However, I was quite disappointed in this aspect. I saw very few animals and most of the ones I saw were the common ones such as antelopes, monkeys, warthogs, guinea fowls and a few giraffes. To be rationale about it, it is quite a big reserve and the foliage thick which did not make it easy to track animals.

In addition, as they are also conducting research on this area, a lot of the paths have restricted or no access at all. I suppose that if we were to go to those forbidden areas then we would see more animals. I just thought this was a bit unfair and one could really spend days on these grounds just looking for animals.

The scenery, however, in their viewpoint is fantastic and

from there I would see the Gaborone Dam which supplies water to the entire city. It is quite tranquil and relaxing I could understand why this place is popular for conferences and seminars. It is very quiet and one would really be able to concentrate or do whatever it is expected from them. I suppose one could also get inspirations from being in a very natural setting.

At any rate, for me, I was not impressed with the animals I saw or maybe I was just unlucky but I did not see something special. It is difficult to find animals, the reserve is too big, the roads not well maintained and is more expensive to visit. I would rather go to the Gaborone Game Reserve than visit Mokolodi which is more far and expensive.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38612911990831/k2311a126/12.6.09