Portugal Terceira Island  » Travel  »
Azores, Portugal
  • There are many islands on the Azores but the most convenient for us was to take the one which would take us to Terceira
  • Renting a car is probably the best way to cover as much of the island as possible and that was what my husband did upon arrival
  • The city itself is quaint and definitely rustic with narrow pathways and roads which would go up and down
  • Dining is a great experience especially for seafood lovers like me
  • I enjoyed that trip very much because it was not a hectic one, quite leisurely

• by bethbarl

One of the free tickets I redeemed in my frequent flyer club was a return flight to and from the Azores. My family and I always landed in Lisbon when we were still in West Africa and we thought that we should take advantage of visiting the Azores. My husband and I considered Madeira to be to too touristic and we wanted to see something rustic. There are many islands on the Azores but the most convenient for us was to take the one which would take us to Terceira.

It took at least 3 hours to reach the island from Lisbon by air as these islands are in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Upon arrival I felt that this island was far different from mainland Portugal. The people were nice and friendly, the attitude was more relaxed and the scenery was really nice. As it was spring when I was there, the whole road from

Lajas airport to our hotel was dotted with nice flowers. The roads were clean and well maintained. Renting a car is probably the best way to cover as much of the island as possible and that was what my husband did upon arrival.

Finding accommodation was also not that troublesome as we found one which was not too far from the center of town. The city itself is quaint and definitely rustic with narrow pathways and roads which would go up and down. I did not think this was a shopping area but if I had an emergency, I was sure I could find something from the local shops.

Dining is a great experience especially for seafood lovers like me. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from in town but I was particularly delighted with one restaurant which had the best Cataplana (Restaurante O Pescador) on Praia da Vitoria. One thing which I did not ...

• like was the constant droning of military airplanes in that area because there is a US military base in the Azores.

It was also from Praia da Vitoria where we took a speedboat to see some dolphins. For a reasonable price, my family and I were taken out into the sea by a competent captain. I was really seasick with this speedboat but was comforted by the lovely, deep blue sea and the many dolphins which would run after the boat. Those were the best dolphins I ever saw in my life. My husband even asked the boat captain to stop at one point as he wanted to take a dip in the ocean. The captain looked so shocked probably because the waters were icy cold. Anyway, he obliged but my husband came back after a few minutes back to the boat. It was really cold he said. I need not say, I told you so.

There are many

things you can see on Terceira but my husband and I decided that it was meant to be a relaxed holiday. Because we rented a car during our entire stay which was only 4 days, we could cover a bit of the island and chose a few points of interest like the Monte Brasil which had a lovely view of the island and the Angra do Heroismo. I especially liked the Praia da Vitoria although I could not understand how those people could swim in the sea when I could not even wear a T-shirt because the air was still cold.

I enjoyed that trip very much because it was not a hectic one, quite leisurely. The island has everything it can offer to the tourists – beautiful landscapes, good dining and accommodation at reasonable prices. My husband and I made a pact to come back to the Azores with the objective of seeing the Blue Whales, if possible.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38312909870731/k2311a123/12.3.09