Botswana Khama Rhino Sanctuary  » Travel  »
Serowe, Botswana
  • There were some animals on the road but as it was daytime it was quite easy to spot and avoid them
  • Besides, with the aid of a basic map which I bought at the entrance of the Sanctuary, we had no trouble finding our way around
  • I would have been disappointed if after driving that far I would not even see a few
  • Compared to other places here in Bostwana which are more far and expensive, the Khama Rhino Sanctuary is a good place to visit to get a small introduction on wildlife at a reasonable cost

• by bethbarl

Botswana is a large country and unless one is very patient with doing long distance driving, this might not be the right place to go. I discovered this already as there were very places where I could go which did not require a lot travelling.

Before leaving this country, I wanted to visit the Khama Rhino Sanctuary which was built specifically as a project to save and propagate the nearly extinct rhinos in this country.

To reach there, my husband had to drive 5 hours straight. Compared to other destinations in this country which either involved flying cum driving or simply driving, this was in fact peanuts. The roads were also very good and signage well in place. I was quite comfortable throughout the trip. There were some animals on the road but as it was daytime it was quite easy to spot and avoid them. I did ask for directions from

passersby as at one point, I did not see the panel which would lead us to the Sanctuary.

I arrived at the gate well on time (the gate closes at 7 or 8) and promptly registered. The place charged entrance fees of Pulas 26/ day and tourism levy at Pulas 2 or $.07/ day which were not much. It was not possible for us to drive 5 hours just to stay at this place for a few hours and drive back the same day. Fortunately, there were facilities for sleeping in chalets which had basic amenities or at camping sites which had ablution. But as this was a nature trip, I did not mind. The place was so quiet and peaceful, it was really very relaxing. I did miss having electricity if only because I hate groping in the dark. There was also a restaurant just after gate which ...

• served decent meals and drinks for a reasonable price and an Environmental Education Center.

The roads in the Sanctuary were not paved as can be expected. Nature walks and guided game drives were available for those who wish to do these activities. However, as the roads were well marked, my husband decided that we could do a self game drive. Besides, with the aid of a basic map which I bought at the entrance of the Sanctuary, we had no trouble finding our way around. Our main objective of course was to find these rhinos. The first stop was the pan which was like a small waterhole. I saw zebras, antelopes and lots of birds. I was waiting for those big ancient looking animals and sure enough, I saw them grazing in one part of the Park just after the waterhole. These animals were quite impressive and reminded me so much

of prehistoric animals like a dinosaur for instance. I was not in any way afraid that they would attack as I was in the vehicle. I saw them again the day after although I had difficulties to spot them as they were always hiding behind the bushes eating grass. All in all, I saw about 6 rhinos which was already a lot. I’ve heard from other people who came here before us that they did not even see one. I would have been disappointed if after driving that far I would not even see a few. I guess I was lucky.

Compared to other places here in Bostwana which are more far and expensive, the Khama Rhino Sanctuary is a good place to visit to get a small introduction on wildlife at a reasonable cost. Even if you don’t see rhinos, you will still see other animals and enjoy the place as it is so quiet and peaceful.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38212908400231/k2311a122/12.2.09