Zimbabwe Victoria Falls  » Travel  »
Zimbabwe
  • In my opinion, 2 hours was enough to see the Falls
  • I thought that the political instability in this country was quite appalling but having not enough to eat was even worse
  • I felt quite guilty as I learned later that the people over there would even cross the border to go to Botswana to get basic things such as maize and flour

• by bethbarl

One of the benefits of staying in Kasane was that I was very close to Zimbabwe where the famous Victoria Falls is. I readily agreed when my husband suggested that we allocate a day to visit the Falls as it was a mere 70 kilometers away. For about $80 per person, one could arrange a day trip to the area.

My first complaint is the border post in Kazungula on the Zimbabwean side. Hordes of tourists and tourist buses were there before us. It was so disorderly to get our passports stamped. It did not help that we got our visas already months before in Gaborone as the majority of the tourists got theirs on the spot. I was tired and felt helpless as the queue took forever to move an inch. Each visa issued was done by hand and if somebody like a tour

operator would queue for 20 people in a bus (which certainly happened that day) then I did not wonder. The whole wait lasted 2 hours.

Heaving a sigh of relief when I finally crossed the border, if I was tired before I was certainly scared the next as during this one hour of travelling, I saw lots and lots of elephants on the road. The scenery was filled with the destruction left by these animals with trees uprooted and devoured by these huge animals. Fortunately, the driver spotted them easily and would just stop. Apparently, elephants see a vehicle as an entity and would not charge unless cornered.

Anyway, upon reaching the entrance to the Victoria Falls this was another chaos. So many people were already there before us. Luckily for us, the driver explained that we had already prepaid our booking to the Falls. Otherwise, it ...

• would’ve meant another hour of lining for tickets. I told my husband to take a guide as at least we would know where to go. The guide who came with us was excellent as he was knew the way and had always answers to our questions.

No doubt, the Falls itself were magnificent and a sight to behold. Such force of water, I was a bit scared especially when I looked down to where it would drop. In my opinion, 2 hours was enough to see the Falls. Walking was easy as the paths were well marked.

As the tour included lunch, there was some confusion as to where we would have to go for it. Finally, my family and I were taken to a hotel where lunch was served. Despite the crisis in this country, the meal was quite good but was barely enough to cover

my hunger. Even if I had the money to buy some more bread for my daughter who wanted more (we were given a piece each) they did not have anything left. Everything was rationed. I thought that the political instability in this country was quite appalling but having not enough to eat was even worse. I felt quite guilty as I learned later that the people over there would even cross the border to go to Botswana to get basic things such as maize and flour.

In spite of what I have seen some which were good and others not so good, I still think that the Victoria Falls would be worth at least a day trip, nothing more. Although there was chaos at the border post and the Falls itself, the Falls were awesome, the trip was affordable, the roads not so bad and the people were nice.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38112908190731/k2311a121/12.1.09