Max Factor Pan-Cake Water-Activated Makeup, light  » Cosmetics  »
  • Problem was, she ran a tanning salon for a short stint, and so was incredibly dark-skinned, and I'm incredibly fair-skinned, so her makeup was about five shades much too dark and orange for me
  • So, after all these years (I haven't used max factor since I was a teen), I decided to try it again, hoping perhaps they've made improvements to their formula to make it a little more user-friendly for those of us with sensitive skin prone to breakouts
  • You wet a sponge (I like using a natural sea sponge), just enough to be slightly damp, and then run it over the makeup to gather it up, and you just begin applying it and spreading it evenly all over
  • I don't think she's used anything else in all her 63 years and, I can definitely see the appeal
  • Of course, I don't think the coverage would be nearly as flawless if it weren't for it's thickness

• by Anasuya

I honestly didn’t think Max Factor was still putting out its pan-cake makeup! I was excited to see it in a store a few weeks ago, because it brought back some ridiculously funny memories. When I was a young girl, just starting to wear make-up to help cover up the blooming acne that puberty spawned, I would use my mothers max factor pan-cake make-up, because it provided the most coverage. Problem was, she ran a tanning salon for a short stint, and so was incredibly dark-skinned, and I’m incredibly fair-skinned, so her makeup was about five shades much too dark and orange for me. I’d have this ridiculous orange line around my chin where the makeup stopped and my natural coloring began. Quite amusing, unless you’re the fourteen year old WEARING this concoction!

But, it was stilly my first foray into makeup, so they are fond memories regardless. And, I have to say, I still believe Max Factor is one of the few foundations that is affordable and truly covers sufficiently, especially if you have a moderate skin condition such as acne or rosacea. I don’t have rosacea exactly, but my skintone is VERY uneven and blotchy, with dark under-eye circles and its hard to find a foundation that covers it all sufficiently with an even blended look.

So, after all these years (I haven’t used max factor since I was a teen), I decided to try it again, hoping perhaps they’ve made improvements to their formula to make it a little more user-friendly for those of us with sensitive skin prone to breakouts. It’s a water-activated foundation. You wet a sponge (I like using a natural sea sponge), just enough to be slightly damp, and then run it over the makeup to gather it up, and you just begin applying it and spreading it evenly all over. And, now that I’m little more aware as to how to properly apply makeup and find the correct color for my skintone, I have to say that max factor still has it right and this stuff covers flawlessly. It goes on smooth and covers any imperfection without a hitch.

But, I have oily skin, and after a few hours, it begins to look a bit runny and caked, especially in creases around the mouth, eyes, and eyebrow. If I’m very careful with my blotting sheets, and keeping a step ahead of ...

• Max Factor Pan-Cake Water-Activated Makeup, light
      my oily complexion, then the makeup doesn’t run and look awful, but it’s a hot mess waiting to happen if you happen to sweat or get wet, because it runs excessively. It is, after all, a water-activated foundation.

So, after all these years, it still has it’s up and downs. There aren’t that many shade options, and the “light” seems to be TOO pale, but the other colors are too dark or too orange. But, it definitely covers sufficiently. I still breakout occassionally, and I wouldn’t have to worry about the blemishes showing while using this makeup. However, as I said, you really have to stay on top of an oily complexion or your makeup will run all over the place and start gathering in the creases and fine lines on your face.

My mother, to this day, still uses this makeup and loves it. I don’t think she’s used anything else in all her 63 years and, I can definitely see the appeal. I’ll probably use this make-up from time to time, especially when the breakouts are more severe, and my usual foundation doesn’t cut it, but it’s a little too heavy for every-day use. Of course, I don’t think the coverage would be nearly as flawless if it weren’t for it’s thickness. And, at $9 a compact, which is smaller than it used to be, the makeup really doesn’t go a long way. I pay $10 for my normal foundation, which lasts me a month, if not longer, and the max factor is lucky to last me a good three weeks. Good product, though, and dependable.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 31112908140731/k2311a121/12.1.09