Star Ocean: The Last Hope
  • My play through was around 60 hours, and I know I missed some stuff
  • I think the character type was originally invented for comic relief, but I can't stand it
  • I like the exploration angle, but what the hell is this missing procedure
  • Villains should, in my opinion, be individuals, not faceless entities
  • There were times, especially during drawn out boss battles, when it was annoying, but that might have been alleviated had I decided to control a different character

• by David Blakeley

Let me start by saying this game is going to take up some time. My play through was around 60 hours, and I know I missed some stuff. Granted, somewhere in the vicinity of 30 hours of that time frame wasFMV . That’s not entirely true, but it seemed like it. There were several scenes that were so long my controller shut itself off due to inactivity.

The cast of playable characters is fairly small, weighing in at 9. For the most part, they’re fine, but there are 3 that just bug me: Sarah,Meracle, and Lymle. These three characters are pretty stereotypical stupid, anime girls. I think the character type was originally invented for comic relief, but I can’t stand it.

As far as the other characters go, there’s nothing particularly unique about them. Edge, the protagonist, is

your standardemo “I can do anything” type of hero. Reimi, the love interest, is the naive best friend that’s not-so-secretly in love with Edge. Faize is the little brother type, who wants nothing more than to be as good as Edge at everything.

Bacchus fills the role of the teacher, bringing a bit of intergalactic intelligence to the group. Myuria is a femme fatale, wandering the galaxy in search of her husbands killer. Arumat rounds out the group as a scythe wielding anti-hero. My other complaint about this game is the almost complete lack of character building.

There are no options so the characters wind up basically the same on every play through. There is a skill system that does allow for some customization, but there are certain skills that are vastly superior to others, meaning there’s not much reason to ...

• use up valuable skill points on anything else. It annoys me that, with the technology available, they didn’t give me some other way to make my characters unique. Even the latest versions of Final Fantasy, the mother of all Japanese role playing games, allows for some customization.

When playing most games, story line isn’t as important as game play. With role playing games, however, the story needs to be decent and mildly believable. This game failed at both. It starts out well enough, as a group of explorers leaves Earth to set out into the Star Ocean.

Then it turns to crap. Bad things happen, so Edge andReimi have to run around trying to fix them. Somewhere along the way, they wind up saving the galaxy from something called the missing procedure, which is artificially evolving the galaxy because

it feeds on the energy created by said evolution. It’s a pretty standardanime style plot.

I like the exploration angle, but what the hell is this missing procedure? It’s even got a stupid name. Villains should, in my opinion, be individuals, not faceless entities. It’s hard to really care about faceless entities. Even after all that, however, I will say that I enjoyed the game.

The visuals, even during some of those long cut scenes, were spectacular. On top of that, the combat system was nice and intuitive, which made fighting fun. There were times, especially during drawn out boss battles, when it was annoying, but that might have been alleviated had I decided to control a different character. Overall, I’d say the entertainment value of the game is worth a 20-30 hour time investment, not the 60 or so I put into it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 283011906580630/k2311a1130/11.30.09