The Royle Family The New Sofa (2008)  » TV  »
  • It was all gently enjoyable rather than rip roaring funny, but I wished they had not drawn out the issue about the turkey being frozen as much as they did as I found that a bit irritating rather than funny
  • Part of the genius of the best episodes of The Royle Family is the mixture of comedy and tragedy, such as when nana died, which had me in floods of tears, and the episode when Denise got married
  • That said, I am glad I watched it and I still enjoyed it for the most part

• by jeanne71

The New Sofa is an hour long, festive episode of the fantastic comedy The Royle Family, which was originally aired on Christmas Day 2008. Written by Craig Cash and Caroline Aherne, who play the gormless Dave and Denise in the series, The Royle Family is always quality viewing with gentle, well-observed comedy that amuses me at least or makes me roar with laughter at the most.

Although this episode is well written and certainly better than most modern situation comedies, this episode does lack a certain something.

It

starts on Christmas Eve with the usual banter between the mum and dad, Sheila and Jim, and Dave and Denise, with Twiggy turning up, fresh out of prison for ‘the usual, a bit of fraud’.

Denise is cooking Christmas Dinner and Dave’s parents are coming over too.

On the day, their massive turkey has not de-frosted so Denise has a melt-down instead, crying “All I wanted was for it to be like Nigella’s”.

There was only one line in this that made me roar with laughter and that was when ...

• Dave is kicking the turkey across the floor and Denise says “Don’t dribble it Dave, boot it!” but the rest of the comedy was quick-fire, but gentle.

It was all gently enjoyable rather than rip roaring funny, but I wished they had not drawn out the issue about the turkey being frozen as much as they did as I found that a bit irritating rather than funny.

There were lots of gags though with the usual dead pan wit that you expect from the writers and the brilliant actors.

Part of the genius of the best episodes of The Royle Family is the mixture of comedy and tragedy, such as when nana died, which had me in floods of tears, and the episode when Denise got married.

There was no tragedy in this episode and so it felt as though it was missing that substance that the writers are capable of.

That said, I am glad I watched it and I still enjoyed it for the most part.

It is just not up to the standards of other episodes.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 102911905851230/k2311a1129/11.29.09