Robben Island South Africa
Robben Island, Cape Town, South Africa
  • For them, it was definitely educational and they could not believe how human beings could be so cruel just because of racial differences
  • I hoped that the trip was an eye opener for them but I think it was and therefore, well worth it

• by bethbarl

I did not want to go to Robben Island at all because I was scared of taking ferries. But this was the economical and normal way to see the Island. I eventually agreed to go when my husband bulldozed me into coming as he said that if something went wrong with the ferry then we would all perish at the same time. As this was a favorite tourist destination, tickets were sold well in advance. I heaved a sigh of relief but to my consternation some Indian lady was selling her tickets because her family did not want to get in that ferry. Just like me. The short end of it was we managed to get the ferry tickets.

Anyway, I tried to be a good sport about it,

waited patiently for our turn to board the ferry. The ride was not so bad and was in fact quite well organized from ushering people to their seats or to putting on life vests for security purposes. I could also buy something to drink and eat on board as it was an hour’s ride to the island. The sea was a bit rough but all in all, there was no untoward incident. We arrived on the island and was picked up by a bus which took us to the museum and eventually the prison of Nelson Mandela, the former ANC leader who was imprisoned for a long time during the apartheid regime in South Africa. In fact, this was another reason why I did not want to visit ...

• Robben Island. I did not want to reminisce about these horrible things which happened in the past.

Perhaps, I was wrong as it gave me a better perspective of how these prisoners thought and what the fighting stood for. I have already read Mr. Mandela’s book a long time ago but I believed that trip refreshed my memory and I understood better their cause. What probably had the most impact for me was the way my kids took the whole trip. For them, it was definitely educational and they could not believe how human beings could be so cruel just because of racial differences. I hoped that the trip was an eye opener for them but I think it was and therefore, well worth it.

The whole tour actually took

about 1 ½ hours excluding the ferry ride. When I got to the museum, there was a lecture given by an ex-prison guard about the ANC. I got to see the prison cells which was a maximum prison at that time. There were also relics from the prisoners’ personal possessions like the bowls they ate from and other stuff. I also went with our group for a tour around the island which showed the harbor, the lighthouse and an Islamic shrine. A small curio shop was also there but I really did not want to buy anything.

Overall, despite my misgivings, this trip was completely worth every dime we spent. It was well organized, informative, educational without being too touristy and certainly gave me a lot to ponder on.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382811905301130/k2311a1128/11.28.09