Table Mountain Cape Town
Lower Cable Station Tafelberg Road, Cape Town
  • As I stepped inside the cable car, I noticed that it was quite clean and modern
  • It is readily accessible by cable car, is well run and organized and most of all gives you the best view of Cape Town

• by bethbarl

On our second day in Hout Bay, the weather was clear and the skies blue. It seemed that there were no easterly winds. We decided to drive to Cape Town and go to Table Mountain. Table Mountain is the most famous and visible attraction of this city. I cannot miss this as everywhere I go, I would see it from all angles. I was worried that there would be a queue going up to this popular landmark so I told my family that we had to be there early. Sure enough when we arrived, there was already a queue but still no winds. If there were winds, they were going to close the cable cars and people would not be able to go up and see the mountain. I was determined to be one of the first ones to see the mountain during that day, I was

in the line immediately. The whole thing was well organized and once the ticket booths opened, it went really fast we did not have to wait long. I took return tickets for the family as I didn’t imagine anyone would be keen to walk at least a kilometre down and back to where we parked our car. You have the option to walk up or down the mountain but that was not really my cup of tea or anyone else’s in my party.

I went in the cable car which would take us up to the mountains. There were two lines operating up and down so I was sure it was not going to be long wait either to go down. As I stepped inside the cable car, I noticed that it was quite clean and modern. No safety issues here. The staff running the cable car was also ...

• competent and gave clear instructions on what and what not to do. While inside the car, I was a bit scared because I was afraid of heights (still am). But the view was so fantastic I couldn’t help but be so immersed in it. People would start moving from side to side to catch a glimpse of everything but my daughter told us that the cable was rotating. It did rotate completely, no one can possibly miss anything. I did not miss any view of the city nor the strange rocks on the mountain. I even managed to look down and that was really wonderful.

Reaching the mountain was for me the pinnacle of the ride. Up there, I saw the beauty of Cape Town and the mountain itself. There were marked paths where I could go for walks and to see the city at different viewpoints. I spent

some time to just sit in one of the benches and enjoy the view around me. The paths were well marked which explained the history of this mountain and even the flora and fauna which could be found here. There was also a small curio shop, restrooms which were clean and even a restaurant where you could eat and drink something warm. It was cold while we were there because it is at 1,086 meters and just towards the end of winter. I appreciated a warm drink afterwards. I can imagine that it would be difficult to stay up long here during winter even with sunny skies as there is always a wind blowing.

All in all, Table Mountain is one place not be missed while in Cape Town. It is readily accessible by cable car, is well run and organized and most of all gives you the best view of Cape Town.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382811905271130/k2311a1128/11.28.09