Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Pearl
  • Of all the things I've had my hands on, YSL top secret moisturizer was the best so far
  • I thought the iridescent glimmer it creates was too much to handle
  • I like to strategically pat the shimmer on the contours of my face such as the cheekbones and near each side of my temple
  • I believe the face lotion also works as a moisturizer because it adds a bit of hydrating suppleness to my skin
  • Perhaps I would recommend it for people who have dry or combination skin

• by jhunie

I was quite thrilled to get started with a brand new makeup regimen once I got this Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector. As always, it’s inclined with my growing fascination to naturally glowing skin. Of all the things I’ve had my hands on, YSL top secret moisturizer was the best so far. But I’m ready to try other things as ysl top secret is such a guilty expense considering its price. First on the list was Becca shimmering face lotion which I’ve been itching to get my hands on because of the astounding tips I got from one of my friends.

At first, I was struck by how ostentatious my face looked with all the shimmers scattered all over my face. I thought the iridescent glimmer it creates was too much to handle. I instinctively refined my techniques to balance out the glitzy shimmers. The result was similar to a highlighting pigment but not too concentrated….just a nice iridescent glow. I can probably compare this to my MAC

iridescent powder which has multiple uses but in a way doesn’t produce that typical ‘ashy’ look that loose powders have. I like to strategically pat the shimmer on the contours of my face such as the cheekbones and near each side of my temple. I can’t spread it all over my face otherwise I would look too ‘madeup’ for the day. If applied well, it gives my skin a pleasant glow but without that glossy sheen. I dust on my usual shu uemura face powder which is translucent and just neutralizes the shimmers to give out a balanced understated radiance.

I believe the face lotion also works as a moisturizer because it adds a bit of hydrating suppleness to my skin. I love the silky feel of the shimmering lotion once it’s dried up which I think also makes a good base for blending with foundations. I haven’t tried that yet but somehow it really works on loose translucent powders. Compared to ysl top secret which has more like ...

• a milky base, this one has a pasty cream texture. The finish isn’t wet-looking but actually mattifies the skin and it’s bestowed with glitter particles that creates the shimmer. I have the one in pearl shade which is the lightest and is quite transparent on my skin. The one in rose quartz contains a slight trace of color which is peachy and adds that healthy sanguine color on the cheeks.

The lotion is easy to remove but sometimes after cleansing I still find some of the dust particles get lost on my hair and neck. The worst part was finding some particles on my lashes and closely on my eye lids. It worries me that some particles might come in contact with my eyes eventhough the particles are very fine but I’m still thinking it might cause some bad reactions, like conjunctival infections….scary. I’m also starting to lose hope with this shimmer lotion because it mixes with my sweats after long periods because of my oily skin. It

makes me look shiny and dewy. Anyway, it hasn’t caused any severe breakouts.

At a particular moment, I used smashbox tinted primer and this shimmer lotion almost washed out the primer’s base color. I was really disappointed. Then I used just a basic moisturizer but only melted together with it after several hours. I found out it doesn’t work together with most of my makeup base. My friend recommended that I use becca’s primer for it but I declined because it just proves this product isn’t versatile. I’m looking forward to going back with my favorite ysl top secret. I spent 2550 pesos or 41 dollars for this shimmer face lotion to find out that ysl is still the only one that suits me.

I would like to emphasize that this isn’t a bad product, it just doesn’t agree with my skin. Perhaps I would recommend it for people who have dry or combination skin.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 312811905130730/k2311a1128/11.28.09