Advil Allergy Sinus, Coated Caplets  » Medicine  »
1.5
  • I knew Advil, from past experience, was one of the few pills that actually had a rather pleasant candy-like taste when in the mouth, and they are small and easy to swallow, even for kids who typically don't like to swallow pills at all (my son being one of them)

• by Anasuya

My youngest son, who is just barely a teenager, is almost never sick. Never really has problems with allergies and has had a cold or the flu maybe three times in his entire life. I’ve definitely lucked out. And, because he’s pretty much not had to take medication ever in his life, when he DOES get a little stuffy nose or some congestion, I’m very hesitant to pass along to him some of the over-the-counter medications me or my husband use, especially the nasal sprays, which a lot of kids would find a little to disconcerting to use. When he got a bit of a cold earlier this year that manifested mostly in sinus congestion, I asked him if he’d like to try the nasal spray that I swear by because it’s the only thing that will work for me, and he passed on the opportunity, and I don’t

blame him, because he’s just not used to that kind of thing. And, he really doesn’t like taking pills, so I knew I’d have to find something that was coated and would go down easy. I knew Advil, from past experience, was one of the few pills that actually had a rather pleasant candy-like taste when in the mouth, and they are small and easy to swallow, even for kids who typically don’t like to swallow pills at all (my son being one of them). So, when I headed to the store to find him something, I chose the Advil Allergy and Sinus, with the coated tablets. Pretty typical price at about $7 a box, for about two dozen pills, and the directions say to take 1 every 4 to six hours. For me, I’d have to take three of those to find any relief, as that’s always been ...

• my experience with advil products, but he’s a “lightweight” when it comes to medication, so I was pretty confident the one pill would cut it.

Surprisingly, it still took about an hour after he took the pill before he said he was feeling any better. His symptoms were a stuffy nose, that facial congestion which can sometimes make a grown man cry, and a slight headache due to the sinus infection. The first symptom to improve for him, he said, was the facial congestion, though oddly enough the stuffy nose was pretty prevelant, at least for another hour. So it was about two hours into taking it that he found total relief, but after another two hours, the symptoms were already starting to reappear and bother him again. So really, he was taking it as directed, one every five hours, but was only feeling relief during three of those

five hours, so he was still pretty miserable for half the day. It didn’t make him sleepy, which was a plus, but he might have preferred that, at night at least, because he was still tossing and turning all night every couple hours when the symptoms started coming back. I was surprised it wasn’t more effective for a young adult who has hardly taken medication at all in his life, and we ended up having to switch to something else, because after two full days with little relief, he was asking me to get him something better.

Needless to say, I probably wont be trying out this product again. Advil products almost never work for myself or my husband, and if it wont work on a young adult who almost never takes medication, I can’t say with any confidence at all that it’s an effective medication. Save your money and try something else.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 262811904390630/k2311a1128/11.28.09