Avira Antivir Personal Antivirus Program Version 9  » Software  »
  • I wrote about what I think about the free Avira antivirus software before at ReviewStream, but this time I want to share my experience with the free latest version of the security software, precisely Version 9
  • I was able to catch three viruses, they were all of the Trojan variety, and I believe I squashed them all
  • I thought maybe just updating the files would fix the problem
  • Anyway, just in case the old Avira software didn’t do a good job with flushing out the bad guys from my notebook, I thought I’d run a virus scan again with the new version
  • I would recommend all Avira users to upgrade to the latest version, the sooner the better

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

I wrote about what I think about the free Avira antivirus software before at ReviewStream, but this time I want to share my experience with the free latest version of the security software, precisely Version 9.

I finally downloaded this latest version today, November 24, 2009. I had wanted to do it much earlier, since it’s been bugging me on my laptop’s system tray to do so. However, since I’d been so busy with other things lately, I had put it off, but not for long.

Virus protection for my computer gadgets are always first priority to me. Just a week ago, my roommate borrowed my computer to watch Croatian TV online. I let him use it for the whole afternoon, and when I got my laptop the next morning, he told me that there was some kind of a virus notification.

He didn’t know anything about computer viruses or malicious software, so one of the first things I did as soon as I got my computer back was to run a full virus scan. Who doesn’t know that doing this takes about

three hours of your time each time, huh?

Luckily, although my computer is not new, I could still do other things on the device such as surf the web, while I run the virus scan. Otherwise, I wouldn’t really have any patience for this virus scan. Somebody invent a faster virus scan, please!

I was able to catch three viruses, they were all of the Trojan variety, and I believe I squashed them all. I chose to delete them from my system, instead of quarantining them. After all, why keep the viruses under lock and key in my computer when I could flush them all out?

Then the Avira program started showing signs of decay again, it seemed that each time I turned on the computer, the software’s red umbrella icon on the system tray would be close, which tells me that the antivirus had been turned off inadvertently. I thought maybe just updating the files would fix the problem. Still this kept on happening and Avira kept prompting me from a pop up from the tray that I had to update ...

• my version, since it was already outdated.

Luckily, it was still free to update, which was why I just love these guys. I hear that Microsoft is planning to offer free security software to PC users, damning the fate of their unreliable Windows Live Care. I haven’t seen nor touched this purported free version yet, but it seems that the giant is reacting to the market forces which dictate that virus protection should be a free thing. After all, the major reason why virus creators are very active is because Bill Gates is making way too much money!

To cut a long story short, I was able to successfully upgrade to the free and ever reliable Avira antivirus version 9. Downloading was easy, what with high speed Telus Internet. But I was surprised that after installing the new software, it still prompted me to take in the latest updates. Why wouldn’t the latest updates not be on the latest version of the software anyway?

It was also funny that the Avira icon on the system tray prompted me to go to the

icon on the desktop and turn the antivirus on when it’s already turned on. Evidence: The red umbrella is wide open.

Maybe this was tolerable, but obviously these software makers still have a lot of glitches to iron out, let alone deal with making the software components communicate with each other. I’d leave it to these guys to figure this one out!

Anyway, just in case the old Avira software didn’t do a good job with flushing out the bad guys from my notebook, I thought I’d run a virus scan again with the new version. It took three hours again, what a pain. But at least, I feel confident that my computer had been served right and humming in operation. No viruses were directed, so I guess my PC was safe for now.

I would recommend all Avira users to upgrade to the latest version, the sooner the better. New threats, after all, are always out there, for as long as Microsoft is in business, I think.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 302411902420730/k2311a1124/11.24.09