Pontiac Firebird  » Cars  »
  • At about one third of the cost of a luxury sports car, it is priced within the buying power of most middle class drivers
  • I can state that, despite some minor flaws, I love my Firebird and it has help up well for the six years I have owned it
  • The gas mileage in the city is absolutely terrible, rated at 15 mpg, but from my experience is closer to 12 mpg

• by Michael Strauss

The 2002 Pontiac Firebird is a great sports car for a middle to upper middle class lifestyle. At about one third of the cost of a luxury sports car, it is priced within the buying power of most middle class drivers. Yet, despite being priced only slightly higher than most sedans, it still has the flair and excitement of a sports car.

I can state that, despite some minor flaws, I love my Firebird and it has help up well for the six years I have owned it.

In addition to a sleek design, it comes with leather bucket seats (front and back), detachable t-tops, cruise control, and radio controls built into the steering wheel. This last feature has proved to be a safety feature, allowing me to change the radio station or control my CD player without having to take my hands off the wheel or move my eyes from the road.

The slight flaws are all things that I expected or do not interfere with my enjoyment of the car. The back seats are very ...

• constricted and a very poor fit for two grown adults. The gas mileage in the city is absolutely terrible, rated at 15 mpg, but from my experience is closer to 12 mpg. Finally, different from previous and following year designs, the front spoiler has two flaps that hang low. These flaps are so low to the ground, they scrape and tear easily. In fact, both of my flaps tore off, though the car actually looks better without them.

Overall, the car is simply fun to drive and

is a pleasant experience. My calculated highway gas mileage is about 30 mpg at cruising speeds of 65 mph and the bucket seat and cruise control make it a comfortable drive. The handling is absolutely superb, able to take tight turns safely at about 15 mph faster than the average sedan and the anti-lock breaks can stop the car quickly and safely. Finally, the car is simply gorgeous. If you are looking for a sports car as a luxury item, this car is an excellent choice.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 92411901490630/k2311a1124/11.24.09