White Island, Camiguin, Philippines  » Travel  »
Agoho, Camiguin, Philippines
  • I paid for a minimal “entrance” fee of Php20.00 (roughly half a dollar)
  • I also noticed several small tables full of small souvenir items scattered about
  • The heat gets intense towards the middle of the day which I thought was a perfect time to go for a nice, cold swim
  • I recommend it to those who want to snorkel, go for a cool swim, and get a good tan

• by Marinela

I literally soaked up the sun when I was on the White Island in Camiguin, Philippines. Coming from Agoho, which is half an hour from Mambajao (the capital of Camiguin), I took a 10-minute boat ride to get to the island. It was very quick, quite comfortable, and safe. Once I set foot on the island, I can already feel the heat from the sun. I paid for a minimal “entrance” fee of Php20.00 (roughly half a dollar). It was a surprisingly cheap price for

such a beautiful island. The island spread out on an irregular form. I felt like I was standing on a massive irregularly-shaped surf board in the middle of the sea. I also noticed several small tables full of small souvenir items scattered about. The vendors seemed eager to do their sales pitches on us newcomers as there weren’t much people around. That is one thing that I liked about the place - there wasn’t too many people around at one time. Everyone just comes and goes maybe because of the heat!

So my friends and I picked a spot away from the vendors and nearer to the ocean. We marked our territory by renting a makeshift shade made of canvas and wooden poles. We paid Php60.00 (roughly a dollar and a half) to rent it. You’re really going to need one if you don’t want to be roasted instead of tanned! The heat gets intense towards the middle of the day which I thought was a perfect time to go for ...

• White Island, Camiguin, Philippines
      a nice, cold swim. The water was so cool and clear. I rented snorkeling equipment for Php100.00 (around $2) per hour. I could get as far as 10 meters (5 meters in some sides of the island) from the shore before the water got too deep and the current got too strong. I couldn’t easily move around though because the dead corals that I walked on were very sharp so I had to be very careful.

A good two and a half hours swimming and

relaxing on the shore gave me a pretty good tan. It looked fantastic on the tons of photos that we took of ourselves. The view of a Camiguin mountain from the White island was a really nice background too. I felt so relaxed and refreshed afterward.

I recommend it to those who want to snorkel, go for a cool swim, and get a good tan. That’s basically all there is that the White Island can offer. And of course, if you want to see the white sand.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382411901470630/k2311a1124/11.24.09