John Wayne  » People  »
  • I don't love all of his movies, but I love his passion and the conviction with which he lived his life
  • He wasn't a perfect man, but he was definitely tall in the saddle
  • I believe in loving your country, especially if your country is America, where we tend to take so darn much for granted
  • There are many movies of John Wayne's that I enjoyed as a child and still watch today

• by Orrymain

I have always loved John Wayne. I don’t love all of his movies, but I love his passion and the conviction with which he lived his life. He wasn’t a perfect man, but he was definitely tall in the saddle. He was also a very patriotic American, and I admired that greatly. I believe in loving your country, especially if your country is America, where we tend to take so darn much for granted.

There are many movies of John Wayne’s that I enjoyed as a

child and still watch today. My only qualms now and the reason that I don’t them more is that I am a huge animal lover and back in the day, they didn’t take enough care with the animals. One of my favorite films as a child, for example, was True Grit. I watched this movie with Wayne and Glen Campbell numerous times in the theater. I don’t remember the exact count, but I believe I went to see it something like 40 to 50 times.

• As I’ve aged, though, not only do I not enjoying watching the violence, but the horses used had some issues on that set, and so that gives me pause. Still, Wayne made for a masterful Rooster Cogburn.

The Sons of Katie Elder, Rio Bravo, and even his smaller role in The Longest Day are still huge favorites of mine. The Hellfighters is another that I positively adore and do watch frequently.

John Wayne was a cowboy who spoke his mind. I never met him, but I have met

two of his sons, Michael and Patrick. I remember when I saw Michael, I was almost stunned to silence. I felt like I was with greatness, just because he was John Wayne’s son. He was so tall, and he was also very gracious. I was in such awe.

John Wayne had great humor in his swagger. I have his book and record, Why I Love America, and it still gives me chills. He spoke from his heart.

I miss John Wayne. He was a true American.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 522111900750730/k2311a1121/11.21.09