Under My Skin Album of Avril Lavigne in Canada  » Music  »
  • I am convinced, though, that the more defining single of this second album by Lavigne was really “Happy Ending”
  • I have to admit, real life is the inspiration for Morisette’s songs, and Lavigne’s for that matter

• by RichieMogwai

MSN Messenger (required to be logged into MSN Messenger)

The “Under My Skin” album is Canadian pop diva Avril Lavigne’s second foray at original album making. It was released between 2004 to 2005, single by single.

Since Avril writes most of her songs, this album was no different. The album’s first single, “Breakaway” was a song the songstress co-wrote with Matthew Gerard. But it seemed that she gave this song away to American Idol first winner, loud mouth singer Kelly Clarkson, who would make lots of money out of this single. Whatever the arrangement was, or how this profit sharing came to be, I have no idea.

I am convinced, though, that the more defining single of this second album by Lavigne was really “Happy Ending”. I just love this song! It is very satirical, so full of sarcasm

against the male ego. For example, in this song, Lavigne talks about a happy ending that was anything but.

It is also what I’d put in the wake-up song category, so high strung that playing it wakes up all my nerves. Even the intro is brilliant.

Up close, this single talks about how a girl was made to believe that she was into a real, loving relationship, only to find out that it never was. It’s classic, and in my mind, truly runs head to head with Alanis Morisette’s Jagged Pill music philosophy.

Sometimes, I can’t help but wonder if there was some real connivance between the two artists, Morisette and Lavigne, because their angsts are so similar, both directed at boys gone bad.

One thing I noticed, though, the angsts in the two songstresses’ ...

• songs disappear once they found themselves in a loving relationship in real life. Like when Morisette got engaged to Canadian actor Ryan Reynolds, the tempo of the man hatred in her songs totally disappeared. I could say the same for Lavigne, up until she got divorced with that rock star. Now I wonder what she’ll come up with next!

I have to admit, real life is the inspiration for Morisette’s songs, and Lavigne’s for that matter. After all, they’re only human, aren’t they?

Of course, now that Lavigne is a big star herself, she lives in Los Angeles, not in Canada. To be closer to the job of course, even more to the music opportunities. Such is the music industry.

The two other singles in the Lavigne “Under My Skin”

album are not as angry, nor as hyped up, but to me they’re brilliant just the same, and I’m talking about “Fall to Pieces” and “Nobody’s Home.” The latter just makes me feel nostalgic every time I play it in my old fashioned Walkman. The former, on the other hand, I find so tender, about a love gone bust.

With this album, I feel that I could be a Lavigne fan forever. She’s just brilliant at what she does, and I’m just so happy for her that she found her true calling so early in life. Some people are just lucky, but then what is luck without true ability? Come to think of it!

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 142111900400730/k2311a1121/11.21.09