Spawn 189 comic
  • I found myself enjoying the comic a lot more than I thought I would
  • A vast majority of the issue is a monologue given by Clown to a man who he's trying to recruit
  • I know Clown is a sadistic demon, but why do bad guys always have to go after the dogs
  • While it's not a kid friendly comic, if you're a fan of the darker, more mature, comics, I would recommend Spawn
  • It all works and it's definitely a good read

• by David Finniss

One of my local comic stores decided to add “Spawn” to my pull file when the “endgame’ arc started. I didn’t ask, but I didn’t really mind. I had heard Spawn was a good comic and picking up a new title only speeds up my catching up to my roommate and other friends of mine who collect comics.

I was a tad confused when I started reading the arc, but caught up fairly quickly. I found myself enjoying the

comic a lot more than I thought I would. When I fell behind on my comics, I figured that I would be utterly lost again. Thankfully, there’s a story recap on the back of the comic cover so I was able to get up to speed quickly.

A vast majority of the issue is a monologue given by Clown to a man who he’s trying to recruit. It seems he’s making a play for power and wants to take advantage ...

• of the recent “death” of Spawn to try and conquer heaven through the manipulation of humans. To prove his point, he kills two of the man’s dogs and leaves their heads in a cupboard.

I know Clown is a sadistic demon, but why do bad guys always have to go after the dogs? Oh well, you only see one panel so it’s not too dramatic.

The artwork on this comic is really good and the issue actually manages

to flow from panel to panel rather seamlessly. The writing is quite good too. There’s a lot of narration, but given the fact that it’s Clown’s voice over trying to persuade the guy, it makes sense. While it’s not a kid friendly comic, if you’re a fan of the darker, more mature, comics, I would recommend Spawn. It’s grim without being uncomfortable or even over the top and stupid. It all works and it’s definitely a good read.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171911898480830/k2311a1119/11.19.09