Hellboy: The Wild Hunt 3 comic  » Books  »
  • I enjoyed the movies and have picked up a few trades as well as collecting some of the recent arcs in individual issues
  • As such, it made this issue really hard to read
  • I got the gist of what was going on and it seems like this is going to be an interesting arc, but it would've been better had I not been confused the entire time

• by David Finniss

I’m still a relative newcomer to the world of “Hellboy”. I enjoyed the movies and have picked up a few trades as well as collecting some of the recent arcs in individual issues. Still, I’m not well versed in Mignola’s mythology. As such, it made this issue really hard to read.

It had been awhile since I read the first two issues of this arc let alone other comics. A

lot of the events in this comic build on things that occurred in arcs that I haven’t read yet so I was pretty lost almost the entire time.

The first half of the comic I spent playing catch up because it had been awhile, oh and there’s no recap page to refresh your memory, thanks Dark Horse, and the second half talks about things that I’m unfamiliar with. It’s true I do ...

• intend to pick up the remaining trades and it does have asterisks telling you what arc the events in question occurred in, but when you haven’t read the arcs, that doesn’t really help me.

It seems Hellboy is turning into Hellblazer in the sense that you really need to read what comes before to make sense of what comes later. I guess that’s a good thing, logical progression of events

and character development and all that, but if you’re trying to jump on at this point, it’s a daunting task to say the least.

The comic itself was rather enjoyable. Mignola’s artwork is unique and the dialogue is well written. I got the gist of what was going on and it seems like this is going to be an interesting arc, but it would’ve been better had I not been confused the entire time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171911898460830/k2311a1119/11.19.09