A Christmas Carol 3D (Movie, 2009)  » Movies  »
  • I think Disney painted Scrooge really well in the beginning of the movie
  • However, when Scrooge acted all nice and excited when viewing the past and then all sad and regretful when viewing the present, I thought that it seemed out of character
  • I was disappointed with the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come
  • But what really made this movie more interesting was the fact that it was in 3D
  • But, if you're going to watch, I recommend watching this movie in 3D over the regular version in order to enhance the experience

• by Shadow Zero

“A Christmas Carol 3D” stars Jim Carrey as Ebenezer Scrooge. He also did the voices of all three of the Ghosts of Christmas. A movie of “A Christmas Carol” has been done to death. It seems almost every year, there’s another adaption of Charles Dickens’s famous novel. So, I won’t bother with a description of the movie.

Since the plot is the same as any of the other movies, I was interested to see how Disney interpreted the movie this time around (the last time being “Mickey’s Christmas Carol”). I think Disney painted Scrooge really well in the beginning of the movie: His business partner, Jacob Marley, died and he was quite reluctant in paying a fee of two coins to the coroner and eventually got his coins back by snatching them off of the eyes of Jacob. Knowing how Scrooge is, I saw it coming; but it was still entertaining to watch that part.

However, when Scrooge acted all nice and excited

when viewing the past and then all sad and regretful when viewing the present, I thought that it seemed out of character. Now, it has been a long while since the last time I saw one of these adaptations, so I’m not sure if that’s the way he is in the book or if that was just an interpretation. Nevertheless, it just didn’t feel right to me to see him in this way when he was all money-grubbing and heartless at the beginning. I always thought that it wasn’t until he was visited by the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come that he had a change of heart.

As for the ghosts, I liked how the ghost of Jacob Marley was represented. He looked freaky, scary, and very ghoulish. Seeing this character made me really think about how dark this movie is going to get and how it just might become quite enjoyable.

When I saw the Ghost of Christmas Past, however, I ...

• didn’t like him at all. This ghost was represented by a large candle with Jim Carrey’s face faded into the flame, carrying a candle extinguisher (a metal cone used to snuff out the flame). It just seemed very unrealistic and kind of lame to me. In addition, the character also didn’t speak very clearly so it was difficult to make out exactly what he said.

The Ghost of Christmas Present was average or mediocre. Seeing this character gave me the impression that this is really what the character looks like in the book or in the other adaptations I’ve seen, and nothing else.

I was disappointed with the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come. This one was nothing but a shadow or a silhouette of the grim reaper. His skeleton hand was the only thing that would “pop up”. After seeing the ghost of Jacob Marley, I was really expecting and was excited to see a dark and terrifying grim reaper, but he

was nothing of the sort. I was even more disappointed when the movie never showed his face.

So, the characters were okay, and the plot is nothing different, short of some comedic scenes that actually fit really well into the movie. But what really made this movie more interesting was the fact that it was in 3D. The 3D really made the characters more realistic, almost real in fact. I didn’t care much about this movie, but it was fun and interesting seeing the characters and the details behind them in 3D. This was pretty much the only thing that wowed me during the course of the movie.

Overall, okay movie, great 3D. It’s a nice movie to watch for kids or others who haven’t heard or seen “A Christmas Carol” before. For others who have seen it all before, it’s nothing special. But, if you’re going to watch, I recommend watching this movie in 3D over the regular version in order to enhance the experience.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111811896670530/k2311a1118/11.18.09