Green Arrow/Black Canary 16
  • See, now this issue actually had a plot, which was a nice step up from the last issue
  • Ollie and Wright agree to work together after Arrow cites the relationship between Batman and Gordon
  • I enjoyed it more than I disliked it so I can say that it's worth checking out, even if the women are portrayed oddly to say the least

• by David Finniss

See, now this issue actually had a plot, which was a nice step up from the last issue.

Arrow’s nemesis, an assassin named Merlyn has killed four people and are gunning for a fifth. It is, of course, up to Arrow and Canary to stop him. This issue introduces Lt. Wright, a cop who’s sole priority is keeping the peace.

As it turns out, the hits were put out by a friend of the students killed. They had developed

a renewable energy source and he wanted to keep the profits for himself. In an odd twist of fate, the oil industry out bids him and tells Merlyn to finish the last kid off.

Canary, again, gets injured. It’s kind of hard to roll my eyes in cynicism whenever someone brings up the treatment of women if you have Canary get either captured or severely wounded in every issue. Also, great job with they sympathy Ollie, she says it hurts like hell and his response is pretty much, “yep, told you”. Don’t bandage it or anything…oy.

I knocked the last issue for being filler, but it actually does set up an arc. One of the flashbacks was of Arrow saving a young woman from her abusive boyfriend. She has developed something of a crush, which is really an understatement.

Ollie and Wright agree to work together after Arrow cites the relationship between Batman and Gordon. It’s ...

• Green Arrow/Black Canary 16
      nice to see that after years of being accused of being a Batman clone, the writers go out of their way to create an Arrow equivalent of Commissioner Gordon. Yep, that’s character evolution right there.

I don’t know why I’m so snarky today, I just am. This comic’s ok. If you’re just starting to get into comics, this is an ok starting point for the series. It’s not stellar, but it was a good step in the right

direction. I enjoyed it more than I disliked it so I can say that it’s worth checking out, even if the women are portrayed oddly to say the least. Speaking of which, what was up with Oracle? Is she feeling depressed about her station? Hopefully it gets followed up on either here or in the Batman titles, I don’t really want to have to start picking up books I normally don’t read in order to figure out what’s wrong with her.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 121711896370730/k2311a1117/11.17.09