Green Arrow/Black Canary 15
2.5
  • He fires and the rest of the issue is Ollie reminiscing about his life in the span of the second or so it takes for the arrow to fly down

• by David Finniss

This was a filler issue, pure and simple. Black Canary is being held captive by some thug named Dregz. Ollie has his bow lined up, but he’s got a knife to his wife’s throat. He fires and the rest of the issue is Ollie reminiscing about his life in the span of the second or so it takes for the arrow to fly down.

It leads to some nice nods to the “Year One” mini that was released and we flashback to Connor getting shot. There are also a few

bits and pieces of how Ollie and Dinah fell in love.

It tried so hard to be deep and profound, but it all ultimately rang hollow. While I’m not the type to whine and moan about women in comics, I did find it a bit odd that Dinah, great fighter that she is, couldn’t get out of that seemingly simple dilemma.

The comic cover says that this is a new era and I didn’t see how it delivered on that. I guess it was a nice way to recap, especially for ...

• me, who has fallen behind on his comics lately, but it didn’t tell me anything I didn’t already know, which just begs the question, what’s the point? No pun intended on that one.

It does deliver a few shippy moments between the two, but it’s been done better by other writers. This comic proves their love by having like six panels of them just kissing. I’m not player hating, but a little extra effort would’ve been nice.

The comic ends with some big cliffhanger that points out how quickly life

can change. We see a bloody room with some guy who I honestly don’t recognize. Given that Merlyn plays a part in the next issue, maybe it was him? I don’t know. This comic was mediocre at best. The artwork’s passable and the writing isn’t atrocious, though it seems to think it’s a lot better than it is. As great as Ollie is, and as great as it is to see his soft spot for Dinah get a spotlight, there are other arcs that do it better than this issue did.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 121711896360730/k2311a1117/11.17.09