Carmageddon 64 (Nintendo 64)  » Games  »
0.5
  • How could the company consider this game ready for release
  • Unfortunately, the problems do not end with the sluggish framerate
  • The cars and the tracks do not look real, but the sounds that the cars make definitely sound real
  • There are a number of levels - over thirty, I believe and the game supports two players and offers three special modes
  • I most definitely recommend that this racer be raced away from - the Nintendo 64 has plenty of racers that are solidly intense and visually attractive, so there is no reason to turn to this one for you need for speed and carnage urges

• by GenesisOne

Carmageddon 64 for the Nintendo 64 is a video game racer that did not deliver in terms of intensity of entertainment. One of the problems that immediately sticks out is that this racer is not fast. There is no sense of speed to be enjoyed. The reason for this is the game is poorly programmed and thus the framerate is sluggish and choppy.

The game plays slowly and that throws off my controlling of the car. I turn, and my car does not immediately turn. There is a delay because the video framerate cannot keep up.

The same is true when it comes to acceleration and braking. This makes the game nearly unplayable and I cannot imagine how this game possibly got approved for release. Was the game not tested? How could the company consider this game ready for release? Unfortunately, the problems do not end with the sluggish framerate.

The graphics in this

game are positively, absolutely horrendous! Everything on the side of the roadways is extremely blurry. There is no sense of realism as a result. I do not feel like I am racing through a town because the town does not even look like a town - instead, it appears to be a great big mesh of colors that are all blending together to create one great big visual mess.

Not only that, but the cars suffer visually too and look blocky and lacking in detail. The cars too are blurry. Visually, this game is just plain ugly and it hardly looks as if the developers spent much time at all designing the models.

In terms of audio, I have to say that this is the only part of the game that feels “real”. The cars and the tracks do not look real, but the sounds that the cars make definitely sound real! From tires ...

• screeching to engines roaring, I want to give the developers credit where I feel credit is due: this game, when it comes to sound effects, certainly excels. The sounds of cars crashing is particularly realistic and powerful.

If only the developers were as successful with the visuals and framerate! It is a real shame that the visuals and framerate prevent me from getting far into the game because this game really is pretty lengthy. There are a number of levels - over thirty, I believe and the game supports two players and offers three special modes. There are a number of unlockables and power-ups that make mayhem and action a common thing in this game.

There was the potential for a great deal of challenge and fun, but unfortunately, much of the challenge and fun is locked solidly behind atrocious visuals and unplayable framerate. I do not know why the developers did not spend

more time on this action racer. They demonstrated that they had quite a few good ideas that would have amounted to a solid and memorable game had the execution been proper.

The many missions which require me to accomplish several objectives while competing with other racers could have been so intense, and yet, it was not since I could never quite control my car properly since it would take more than a couple of seconds for the game to register my commands. This threw me off so many times when precision turning and braking was required. The game is so flawed that it just almost always leads me to shutting it off in frustration.

I most definitely recommend that this racer be raced away from - the Nintendo 64 has plenty of racers that are solidly intense and visually attractive, so there is no reason to turn to this one for you need for speed and carnage urges.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 281611895300730/k2311a1116/11.16.09