Nature’s Bounty Natural Melatonin
  • Plus, I like the idea that it's natural and not pumping me full of artificial chemicals that have longer-lasting and negative effects on the body
  • I definitely and highly recommend this product to the light sleeper, or someone like myself who takes a long time to fall asleep

• by Anasuya

I’ve spent a lifetime with bad sleeping habits, and those sleeping habits have been the result of an inability to fall asleep. I was diagnosed, in my twenty’s, with “delayed sleep disorder”, though it didn’t do me any good to know that I couldn’t go to sleep, much less that not a whole lot could be done about it aside from spending a lifetime on sleep aids that are often habit forming and can cause hallucinations and a variety of other health problems. I use a sleeping pill like Tylenol PM maybe twice a week, and only when I’m feeling really exhausted but can’t fall and stay asleep and this helps keep me from forming any real dependency on it.

There was a period that I used it every day for two weeks straight only to discover that it lost its effectiveness at about day seven, and it’s not recommended you take it that regularly anyway, so I knew this was not a habit I wanted

to get into. I keep it at two days a week, if that, and it works when I use it, but I’m always looking for a more natural means to attaining sleep and staying asleep without resorting to pills.

I’ve tried cool packs that you put under your pillowcase, and aromatherapy and gel packs for your eyes and under your neck and all sorts of nasal strips to keep the snoring at bay and a mouth guard for the teeth grinding (and both the snoring and grinding is a result of lack of sleep, not the cause of it, go figure).

But a while ago, a friend of mine who is sort of a homeopathic and natural-remedy junkie told me to take melatonin capsules before bed.

I managed to head to the local GNC and find a bottle of Nature’s Bounty natural melatonin tables for a relatively decent price, of about $7 when you get 240 capsules. Not bad at all.

You’re supposed to take one ...

• tablet at bedtime, with no restrictions listed on whether or not it needs to be on an empty stomach, but I have a high resistence ot medications of any kind and when I first used this, I took too capsules. And let me tell you, it was way too much.

Even though these capsules were only 3mg each, that 3 mg would be more than sufficient to make you drowsy. And it’s a natural kind of drowsy too… not an overpowering sleepy-ness that you can’t fight off if you had to.

I still wouldn’t suggest driving an hour after you’ve taken the melatonin, but it’s not so strong that you couldn’t drive if you absolutely had to. At least, that’s the case for me.

I could, if I had to or wanted to, take one of these and fight it until it wore off, but that sort of defeats the purpose, so I just naturally let it take hold of me, and I’m feeling like it’s

just time for me to go to bed, and not like I’m forced to go to bed because of an overwhelming need to sleep. I lay down in bed and it may still take me a while to fall asleep (about a half an hour or so, but that’s not as bad as the two hours it normally takes me), and I find that I toss and turn a whole lot less when I use the melatonin than when I use some other product.

Plus, I like the idea that it’s natural and not pumping me full of artificial chemicals that have longer-lasting and negative effects on the body. Quite frankly, though I’ve always been a fan of the Tylenol PM, I’m switching to this product, because it’s something I can take more regularly, isn’t habit forming, and isn’t harmful to take regularly because it’s a natural product.

I definitely and highly recommend this product to the light sleeper, or someone like myself who takes a long time to fall asleep.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 261611894730630/k2311a1116/11.16.09