DenTek Mouth Nightguard  » Health  »
  • I've had bouts of this problem throughout my life, but it's certainly never been a constant, every-night kind of problem until just recently
  • Yes, dramatic I know, but it's still a fear regardless, so I kept putting it off and putting it off until my husband practically begged me to try it
  • I thought the price was a little excessive, but it seemed to be the norm for this type of product so I figured it was a cost I'd have to accept regardless of the product name
  • No wonder I never had braces, because I don't think I could stand having something wrapped around my teeth all day long
  • If you are looking for a cheap alternative to prevent teeth grinding, then I think this is a good solution

• by Anasuya

For about the past three months, my husband tells me that every night he is woken by the sound of what he calls “chewing gravel” because I’ve started to grind my teeth obsessively while I’m sleeping. I’ve had bouts of this problem throughout my life, but it’s certainly never been a constant, every-night kind of problem until just recently. And I’ve since learned that teeth-grinding can lead to a variety of health problems including pain in the neck, headaches and sensitivity to sunlight.

I couldn’t believe all these problems could be associated with the silly act of grinding ones teeth, but I’m living proof that these things will happen as a result of it. The sensitivity to light and the headaches have been particularly troublesome, not to mention the fact that my husband hasn’t had a solid night of sleep for the past three months thanks to this problem of mine.

I’ve contemplated getting a mouth guard for a while now, but have this irrational fear that it might get dislodged and I’ll end

up choking on it throughout the night and dying. Yes, dramatic I know, but it’s still a fear regardless, so I kept putting it off and putting it off until my husband practically begged me to try it.

He even said he’d stay up all night and watch me just to make sure nothing like my fear actually happened, because, as he puts it, one night of staying awake watching me for impending death is worth it if he gets dozens of night of peaceful sleep afterwards. For him, I was willing to give it a shot and ended up buying a DenTek mouth nightguard, for about $20.

I thought the price was a little excessive, but it seemed to be the norm for this type of product so I figured it was a cost I’d have to accept regardless of the product name.

It’s a little moldable, so the first time you use it, you should be able to get a comfortable fit.

My canine teeth jut out a little, and I never ...

• had braces as a child, so my teeth aren’t straight, and it took a couple nights to get a good and secure fit, and I was right to have my husband watch me the first night, because the guard did end up becoming dislodged. Of course, the process of that happening woke me up, and the guard is large so it certainly didn’t fall into the back of my throat or anything, so my fears weren’t exactly founded, but still.

Even after a couple nights, it still didn’t seem to mold exactly, and it was a little longer than I needed so it jutted to the back of the mouth and immediately created a sort of gag reflex, but you can trim it down, and once I did that, the gag reflex wasn’t nearly as strong, but having this huge contraption on your upper teeth still took me some getting used to. No wonder I never had braces, because I don’t think I could stand having something wrapped around my teeth all day long!

But, with that having been said, I have to admit that the noise of teeth grinding wasn’t waking my husband up, and he was very thankful, and I’ve noticed some improvements as well.

I don’t wake up with a sore jaw and neck and my headaches have lessened in frequency and intensity, and the photosensitivity is almost gone (or I should say back to where it used to be, because I’ve always been slightly sensitive to sunlight), so I think it was worth the $20, and from what I understand, this is one of the better guards on the market because it’s not as lose fitting as some of the others, and it’s a far cheaper alternative than getting something directly from the dentist which could cost you upwards of $500 sometimes. If you are looking for a cheap alternative to prevent teeth grinding, then I think this is a good solution.

Needs some minor improvements, and would be nice if it came in different size options instead of having to cut it down, but still works regardless.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 341611894710630/k2311a1116/11.16.09