Edgar Cayce’s A.R.E. Association for Research and Enlightenment, Virginia Beach  » Travel  »
Virginia Beach, VA
  • R.E Association for Research and Englightenment, but because I love all things of a new age or psychic nature (and had just spent two hours prior to leaving watching a History Channel show about Edgar Cayce), when we drove past the sign for this place on our way to the boardwalk, I couldn't help but beg my mother-in-law (the driver, and basically our tour guide on the trip) to take us
  • It was actually a very surprising experience

• by Anasuya

When we planned our week long trip to a rented beach house in Virginia Beach, one of the places we didn’t actually expect to visit was the Edgar Cayce A.R.E Association for Research and Englightenment, but because I love all things of a new age or psychic nature (and had just spent two hours prior to leaving watching a History Channel show about Edgar Cayce), when we drove past the sign for this place on our way to the boardwalk, I couldn’t help but beg my mother-in-law (the driver, and basically our tour guide on the trip) to take us. It’s free to get into the center, though they do ask for donations if you’re able. You can sign

up to listen to an hour long seminar on the life of Edgar Cayce and there are a few other areas of entertainment at the center.

When we signed up to listen to the seminar, we thought it was absolutely entertaining and informative. What was funny was that before we left for Virginia Beach, my mother-in-law asked what board or card games we’d like to bring, and I told her about a game called PIT which I had just discovered a week before at a friends house, which is a fast paced card trading game, in which you pretend to be selling stock in gold, silver, wheat, etc. It’s incredibly fun and I knew it would be an entertaining addition to our trip, so we purchased the game before heading for the road. But when we listened about the history and life of Edgar Cayce, we were so surprised to discover that he was actually the inventor of this game! I had no idea. What an unusual coincidence. Apparently, because he was psychic and could predict the outcome of most games, he needed a fast-paced game to play with his family in which he wouldn’t have the upper hand. I’m still not entirely convinced it WAS just a coincidence that we bought that very game before heading and just happened ot stumble across the museum though it wasn’t on our itinerary.

After the seminar (held in a rather ...

• Edgar Cayce's A.R.E. Association for Research and Enlightenment, Virginia Beach
      dingy room with uncomfortable metal folding chairs- but hey, after all, they dont charge you to get in), we headed for the gift shop and spent an hour just looking at all the oddities they had to offer there, including some auric cleansing shawls and books and stones and your basic tourist-trap gadgets and gizmos.

The museum holds a daily meditation, and you can visit the meditation room which is beautiful and has a wondeful view of the gardens. And speaking of the gardens, this is a must see if you visit the museum. They were so peaceful and beautifully landscaped. It’s basically a meditation garden, and they have this one little meditative maze that’s carved into the ground,

and you’re just supposed to start at one point and walk through the maze (not really a maze, because you can see around you, it’s more like a path that you walk) to the center point, spend a few minutes of meditative silence at the center, and then walk the opposite way out. It was actually a very surprising experience. Even my two young boys, who are rather rambunctious, like any boys of the age of 5 and 7, were immediately calmed walking with me on this path.

Along with the Virginia Aquarium, the Edgar Cayce Museum is the only other place I’ll make a point to visit again when I ever get the chance to make it to Virginia Beach.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2009. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381611894380630/k2311a1116/11.16.09